Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco vs Pathfinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Disco vs Pathfinder

So, I was given (free!!!!) a '95 Pathfinder. It has quite a few issues but I've noticed that after looking at the price of parts, I'm beginning to appreciate my Disco even more. Pathfinder parts are NOT cheap!!!! For example, vehicle speed sensor for a Pathfinder is $189... Disco $110. Muffler and tailpipe.... Pathfinder $537 / Disco $350. And of course the Pathfinder uses a damn timing BELT so as long as I've got everything apart, I'm gonna replace the water pump (because it's behind the timing belt) The timing belt was last replaced 200k miles ago!!! There are two good things about it... 1) It's free 2) The A/C is freakin' COLD!!!!. Nice back-up vehicle but I still like my Disco...... wished I could of got a free Land Rover.........

Eric

Old 07-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Patch up the Pathfinder, sell it, and then buy a LR of about the same vintage!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:51 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Nissans are very similar to Rovers that they can be very reliable but need maintenance to be so. You would think that being a Japanese vehicle they would be super reliable like Toyota or Honda but in my experience that has not been the case with Nissan. I have had lots of friends with Nissans that I have had to put way too much wrench time on.

I would fix it and keep the Pathfinder as a spare vehicle/parts runner. I have the advantage of having a second vehicle and it is awesome to have the second vehicle when you find out in the middle of a project that you need to run to the store for tools, parts or beer.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've also noticed that just about every Pathfinder that's more than a few uears old is a rot box (at least here in the salty northeast). Not so for Rovers.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Winching

Actually, the Pathfinder is parked at the trucking company I work for, so when I'm there, I have something to run around in. Yes, it's a rot box! The rear frame has been plated in a few spots, but more needs to be done. I'm not going crazy on it though... for what little I'm gonna use it, I'll just keep up on maintenance. DarylJ, you're right that Rovers don't rust as bad.... mine is from NY (Vermont before that) and I only have the wheel well rot. Frame is in terrific shape... original exhaust system too !!

Eric

Old 07-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SDinDS, where abouts you live, anywhere near Albany? I say that there needs to be a Rover Ride up here in the Tri-state area, I know of a few state forest trails that we can play on.... Mud, hills, rocks, you name it, i can take us to it......

Old 07-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

DI's are all aluminum body skins, except for the roof if you can see it is aluminum.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Winching

Spike: Are you saying the wheel well arches are aluminum? Just want to know so if I get it patched, I should find someone that's good at welding aluminum.

JBEGIN: I don't live in NY anymore. I had enough of the high cost of living and the politics. I'm in TN now (by the Smoky Mtns) But I still work for the same company in NY so I'm up there once a week and use the Pathfinder to go visit friends. I just run between TN and NY so it works out great! If I had time I could hit the trails with you, but you better have a winch or tow cable because I have a feeling the "Pathfinder" doesn't live up to its name.... I drove this thing in the snow a few years ago and it was no Land Rover!!

Eric

Old 07-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No the wheel arches are not aluminum, only the body skins, just take a magnet from the fridge and try and stick it to any place that you have questions about.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SDinDS where in Tennessee are you from? I live in Sevierville and was wondering if you knew of any good trails around here locally.