Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco vs Pathfinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SD, no tow strap or winch sorry, maybe we'll just go in my disco and save on Gas.... but it is nice to have another truck in the woods with ya in case one gets really stuck, winch out..... oh well, enjoy your pathfinder, hope you get a lot of miles out of it...

Old 07-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by salve7
SDinDS where in Tennessee are you from? I live in Sevierville and was wondering if you knew of any good trails around here locally.
I'm right up the road from you at the end of 66. I don't know of any trails yet. I just moved here in March. Would really like to find one after all that work I did fixing the CDL. I think there's one somewhere up off I-75 near the KY line, but I don't really care to drive 100 miles just to hit the trails.

Eric

Old 07-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talking about Disco v.s. Pathfinder.

I was debating between purchasing a 05 Path or the Disco. I am glad I picked the latter.

Yeah, from various forums, Nissan needs meticulous care too. But I am happy with the Disco family.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not too bad a vehicle... it just doesn't have "character" and it's severely underpowered. It should have something bigger than a 3.0L. I would have loved it if someone gave me a Land Rover or a Jag, but I can't say no to a free vehicle. I only said "no" to a free car once; it was a Yugo !! Don't need to explain that one!! lol

Eric

Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I think you have a few options here. 1-What I would do, Fix it up, make it nice and sell it. Use the cash for a Rovertym 5" lift, some 35" m/ts, new driveshafts, lockers and axles.

or you could fix it up and keep it around, just to have another car.

or, I think the best option, get it ready for a destruction derby

Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 AM
4wd Low

You guys are all making me sick. Nissans unreliable whats with that? You guys all own Rovers what do you know of reliablilty. I havent seen very many of these rovers with over 200k miles but what is funny I have not seen very many Pathys with under 200k why? And underpowered 3.0 you guys give me a break ok so I am more partial to Nissans so we could argue all day but.. I have no pathys but I do have 4 or 5 of those 3.0 V6 VG30E same engine as in a 84-89 z31 300zx they are easily capable of 500hp and tq or more on a completly stock bottom end for cheap. You could put 300 to the ground for easily under 1000 do that with a rover I think not.

The real only bad part I can think of the Nissan which is the hugest and only turn off for me is the independant front suspension but that could easily be changed.

I dont want to sound like a dick just state some facts since it has seemed this is a 1 sided thread.

Oh yeah the greatest of all even better than a rover is a Nissan Patrol. I got one ,o wait I cant get parts for it that is problem. And they nearly dont exist so continue on with your Nissan hating Rover Loveing and I will try to stay neutral. Cause I honestly love both.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I agree with you somewhat, KungFooMASTA, Nissans are nice cars, but if you've never seen a rover over 200k miles you might want to look harder. A Disco's entire drivetrain is almost bulletproof, and if taken care of (same goes for Nissans, and most cars for that matter) properly even 300k or more is no problem.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 PM
4wd Low

Excuse I
Thats good cause I expect 250k or more out of any gasser I own and almost double that for any Diesel. My rover has 140k so I should be good for a few more miles those will be hard off road miles and every other kind of driveing. Goodaye.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KungFooMASTA
I have not seen very many Pathys with under 200k why?
Because you live somewhere that doesn't put salt on the roads?

Just guessing.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Three Wheeling

Wow Kungfoo...The only negative thing I read was that they have a tendency to rust in the Salty NE and that they are a bit underpowered, other than that just some good natured joking. Nissan Patrols are phenomenal vehicles and still manufactured and sold in numerous countries, but a Pathfinder is a far cry from a Patrol. They were originally modeled after the ******. I've always liked the Pathfinder, but I prefer a solid front axle over IFS out of the box. As far as easily switching over to a solid front on the Pathfinder, it depends on if it was a unibody Pathfinder or a body on frame Pathfinder. Someone can rack up $ pretty quickly doing a conversion if they don't know what they are doing. If you cranked 300hp out of a Pathfinder 3.0 you will be upgrading drivetrain parts parts pretty quickly. Yes all this is possible and many have done it, but generally they are more Nissan enthusiasts. I've always liked the Pathfinder, but given the choice I prefer my Discovery.

Last edited by stu44mag; 07-08-2009 at 09:43 PM.