Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DiscoII Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I've done in the past is clean the headers completely, painted them with a high temp paint let that dry them wrap them. I tend to see decreases as much as 65 degrees under the hood. I have a 1996 volvo 850 with tube headers I did this to ten years ago with no signs of decay.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:54 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for all the trouble you can just replace your exhaust manifolds with units that have been ceramic coated. forget the wrap stuff. for something that will get wet like wrap it will hold in some moisture and potentially rot the metal.

you will not see better MPG nor improved 0-60 times. these are slow lumbering trucks. putting running shoes on a elephant does not mean its gonna be faster,,,

Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of wrap "material/product" do you use?

Old 08-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Don't accept that it's a "big heavy gas guzzler so get used to it"

A few respectful counter-points....

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
for all the trouble you can just replace your exhaust manifolds with units that have been ceramic coated. forget the wrap stuff
Besides results, how much "trouble" something is or isn't, depends on how much time, money, and/or sweat equity an owner has to invest or spend.
New ceramic coated exhaust manifolds cost at least $400. The old manifold has to be removed to install the new manifold. A can of heat resistant paint and a roll of wrap will probably cost a lot less than $50 and you don't have to remove and reinstall the manifold if you don't want to.

for something that will get wet like wrap it will hold in some moisture and potentially rot the metal.
400 degree plus temperatures will take care of any moisture that penetrates the wrap and reaches the exhaust manifold metal surface. Exhaust manifold rust issues would be reduced or eliminated unless you routinely park your Disco in 3 feet of water. Metal doesn't rot.

you will not see better MPG nor improved 0-60 times. these are slow lumbering trucks.
There are many factors that have small impacts that contribute to fuel efficiency. Heat is one of them. In and of itself, reducing engine heat and engine compartment heat, in most cases, is likely to have a negligible or unmeasurable effect on MPG. However, because of many of Land Rover's engine design and material choices, reducing engine/engine compartment heat will have a positive impact on vehicle/engine longevity and efficiency.

Regardless of maintenance history, a 1999 Disco with high milage, even if the engine still runs rock solid, it's 1999 engine parts have suffered from normal wear and tear (and bad design/material choices take their toll). There are acceptable reasons why someone should accept crappier than it should, or as good as it could be, fuel efficiency/performance:
  • because they will always be able to afford gas no matter how much it costs,
  • or because they rarely drive their Disco,
  • because they don't have the time/money/knowledge, or
  • they are happy with how their Disco currently performs.

running shoes on a elephant does not mean its gonna be faster,,,
  • Personally, I believe it's wrong to say or think that something can't be improved or made better until after the research, diligence, and testing etc has been done.
  • Sometimes the reason "no one has done it or no one has heard of it" is because no one thought of it or figured out how to do it.
  • No one should accept "common wisdom" or anything as gospel just because it's totted as "common wisdom" or without knowing the reasons why.
  • "common wisdom" and "common sense" are not the same thing..
  • Not knowing the reason and thinking that something can't be done based on Interpretations of "common wisdoms" are usually misapplied or wrong.
  • While it's probably true that putting running shoes on an elephant won't make it run faster (has anyone tested this?) that's no reason why something else might work or that we shouldn't even try to make it run faster.
  • An elephant running for it's life from a lion or fire will run a lot faster than any other elephant that is or is not wearing Nikes.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 08-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a custon ground cam in from The Wedge Shop. When in Sport mode the truck has a bunch more power especially above 4,000 RPM. This makes it real good when you need to get on it.

Down side is I am tracking down a couple codes that have been poping since I did the upgrade.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by twaszak
An elephant running for it's life from a lion or fire will run a lot faster than any other elephant that is or is not wearing Nikes.

Regards,

Thomas
I like this guy.