Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

discovered the joys of sport mode,,,

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: discovered the joys of sport mode,,,

All right...read.... my... lips Normally when you switch to bigger tires, this.. hemmm..simple words ??? Well, it makes the engine work harder to turn the wheels because of the bigger diameter. By using sport mode, you help the engine to turn these bigger wheels because it allows the transmission to switch gears at higher r.p.m when the engine is closer to its maximum torque peak in the r.p.m range.

mmmmmmm All right, picture this....You're walking slowly and pushing an empty wheel barrel ( your truck with stock size tires). Suddenly, as you're slowly walking, someone throws in a 250 lb rock ( your truck with bigger tires)of course, this will slow you down and almost to a stop. Now.....If you're allowed to run ( sport mode)with that same empty wheel barrel, that same 250 lb rock will slow you down a bit, but it will be much easier to keep on moving ahead than if you walked.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sport mode turns off when you turn off the ignition?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Darover

All right...read.... my... lips Normally when you switch to bigger tires, this.. hemmm..simple words ??? Well, it makes the engine work harder to turn the wheels because of the bigger diameter. By using sport mode, you help the engine to turn these bigger wheels because it allows the transmission to switch gears at higher r.p.m when the engine is closer to its maximum torque peak in the r.p.m range.

mmmmmmm All right, picture this....You're walking slowly and pushing an empty wheel barrel ( your truck with stock size tires). Suddenly, as you're slowly walking, someone throws in a 250 lb rock ( your truck with bigger tires)of course, this will slow you down and almost to a stop. Now.....If you're allowed to run ( sport mode)with that same empty wheel barrel, that same 250 lb rock will slow you down a bit, but it will be much easier to keep on moving ahead than if you walked.

I would just throw the rock in back of my Rover and keep going...

Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'd probably stop and kick his ***and put the rock in his pockets.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Darover

To clarify...and because I'm very slow....haha
So I have 18s (blah). When I drive I'm either heading up at a steep incline or down (I live in a mountainous area). Should I keep my Disco in sport mode then for daily driving?
I'm intrigued...

Old 11-13-2008, 07:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, my experience with sport mode is with bigger tires. But I would think that it might help if you have lots of inclines and hills. But you should try it and tell us.