Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2 lots of codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 07:21 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

It sounds like you do not have the wires or the coils or each plug fully seated. The sai codes may come from the SAI vale going bad. It does happen. Start with coils and wires first. Your O2 issues may come from the connections not being fully locked in. It is very common that while you think they are fully together, unless you hear that click sound, they are not.
Whose O2 senors did you use?

Old 11-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll check each plug, but when it was done it was done one at a time very carefully, so I don't think it's that. The sai codes p1415 and p1412 have been there the whole time so it could be that. I am currently replacing the crank position sensor as it seems to run well then Boggs out at a stop. Also o2 sensor I got were from rock auto upstream seems to be the only one spitting codes probably because lean bank from misfires, all other sensors seem to work well. If this doesn't fix it I'm lead to believe there's some electrical issue that will need to be diagnosed or the SAI is causing all of this. It could also be the MAF. How would one tell if the MAF is bad I cleaned it with spray but still unsure if it works.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Winching

Do you know if the SAI is working? There are some basic parameters that make the SAI function temperature wise. If it is running, it should sound like a hairdryer under the hood. Runs for about 90 seconds and the shuts off. The SAI's can get crudded up. I took mine off and cleaned them with brake clear.
What kind of O2 sensors did you install? Many here have had problems with the Bosch ones right out of the box. I had 3 bad ones. Finally went with the walker ones that AB sells.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by matt3502
Do you know if the SAI is working? There are some basic parameters that make the SAI function temperature wise. If it is running, it should sound like a hairdryer under the hood. Runs for about 90 seconds and the shuts off. The SAI's can get crudded up. I took mine off and cleaned them with brake clear.
What kind of O2 sensors did you install? Many here have had problems with the Bosch ones right out of the box. I had 3 bad ones. Finally went with the walker ones that AB sells.
yes the sai must work it's a loud air noise for about a minute or two at startup. It sounds less like a hairdryer and more like a 80s air compressor imo I don't know if that means it's shot or what. I think I got the ultrapowers off of rockauto I do not know if they were Bosch but the o2 sensors seem to work downstream and upstream on the left side and I assume are reporting lean banks due to the 2 4 and 8 misfire. It ran decent going up and back to the bank, then stalled out in driveway at an idle. Idle was rough and then it died, however it did start back up. My mechanic said let's try the crank position sensor, since we eliminated the coils wires and plugs. I just find it wierd that 1 3 5 7 were misfiring then the plugs fixed that and now 2 4 and 8 are misfiring, along with the dying at idle.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:12 AM
Winching

OK, with the SAI pump working, you may have a crack in the SAI hose. They get brittle over time. I think I replaced mine at around 100k. When you did the coils and wires, you may have shifted the SAI hose and cracked it. When you did the coils and wires, did you replace the intake plenum gasket?
I really think your misfires are to things not properly connected or miswired. I know that when I did mine, I really had to push on the wires to get them fully seated on the coils

Old 11-15-2017, 10:07 AM
Drifting

OK, with the SAI pump working, you may have a crack in the SAI hose. They get brittle over time. I think I replaced mine at around 100k. When you did the coils and wires, you may have shifted the SAI hose and cracked it. When you did the coils and wires, did you replace the intake plenum gasket?
I really think your misfires are to things not properly connected or miswired. I know that when I did mine, I really had to push on the wires to get them fully seated on the coils
My mechanic did not replace the gasket, he did however clean the throttle body. I also tried checking for vacuum leaks using starter fluid, but to no avail. Any other methods as to how I could find the leaks? I don't have a smoke machine on hand.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:46 AM
Winching

OK. Not sure why your mechanic did not replace the intake gasket. IM was off when they did the coils right?
I do not think your MAF is the issue, as the codes you are throwing are only partially related to the MAF. MAF codes are usually 1171 & 1174.
I saw that another poster recommended you clean out the SAI canister. Did you do that?
I also get the impression that you are doing some work and the mechanic is doing other stuff. Am I correct? you mention replacing an O2 sensors using you bought from rock auto, have you replaced the one tossing codes and cleaned all the sensor connections? Oil in the connectors will kill them quickly, plus it still sounds like you got a defective O2 sensor.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:31 AM
Drifting

OK. Not sure why your mechanic did not replace the intake gasket. IM was off when they did the coils right?
I do not think your MAF is the issue, as the codes you are throwing are only partially related to the MAF. MAF codes are usually 1171 & 1174.
I saw that another poster recommended you clean out the SAI canister. Did you do that?
I also get the impression that you are doing some work and the mechanic is doing other stuff. Am I correct? you mention replacing an O2 sensors using you bought from rock auto, have you replaced the one tossing codes and cleaned all the sensor connections? Oil in the connectors will kill them quickly, plus it still sounds like you got a defective O2 sensor.
I intend to clean SAI and check plugs and wires this weekend. I only have time to work on the car on weekends, I have the mechanic do the really time consuming stuff while I'm gone and then I usually do what I can on the weekend.
I did notice a wire behind the engine(possibly o2 harness) coated in oil, so I put head shield around it. However, the problem could be that this wire was contaminated. Also can the o2s throw misfire codes and stall the engine at a slowdown? Just trying to diagnose the major problem here, got a CPS to be safe.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jadden14
I intend to clean SAI and check plugs and wires this weekend. I only have time to work on the car on weekends, I have the mechanic do the really time consuming stuff while I'm gone and then I usually do what I can on the weekend.
I did notice a wire behind the engine(possibly o2 harness) coated in oil, so I put head shield around it. However, the problem could be that this wire was contaminated. Also can the o2s throw misfire codes and stall the engine at a slowdown? Just trying to diagnose the major problem here, got a CPS to be safe.
Ok, I found out what was throwing all the misfire codes. Somehow it was the IACV. I went to check on it found it seized and sprayed break clean to find that it was supposed to move XD. This fixed all misfire codes, and then I got underneath the engine and found that o2 sensor to be not clicked in along with the other drivers side front o2. I got the passenger side clicked in, but the drivers is smushed up against the engine and won't click in, spent 30 mins breaking my hand attempting to push it in, but once I'm do I'm sure the inactivity code will go away. Also replaced the thermostat, however after this and refilling I noticed I'm losing coolant. Did I screw up the thermostat Somehow? I bought an auto zone therm and it seems to have dropped temps a bit. I currently get about 204 at the highest, doesn't go past that while driving.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:23 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

Have you have a rover thermostat ? If so spend 80 bucks and get the grey 180 from British parts Utah the real one, not after market.

https://www.britishpartsofutah.com/D...pel500110g.htm

Your temps will drop to around 188F while travelling

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 lots of codes