Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2 / LT230 Transfer Box Loud Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery 2 / LT230 Transfer Box Loud Clicking

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I need your help. For reference my car is a 2002 Land Rover Discovery TD5 Auto.

Have just completed a full service on my Disco TD5. When taking it for a test drive I noticed a loud clicking/clunking noise coming from the car. It was so loud I drove home immediately. Got underneath, checked everything and there was nothing obvious, loose or otherwise. So I took it for another drive. The noise seemed to come more-so when under load or when I take my foot off the accelerator with engine breaking. If I matched the engine speed to the driving speed the noise quietened.

I got the ramps out and removed the front prop-shaft. As I did there is lots of play in it. Needless to say I thought I had found the problem. But in the interest of thoroughness I started it up and put it into drive. The front prop flange started to spin and after a couple of seconds the noise was back. Although it was quieter this time it was certainly coming from the transfer box near to the rear output flange. I know it is not the rear shaft as the hand brake was engaged and rear prop still connected with wheels on the ground, it did not move.

At this I decided to investigate the transfer box. (Going back a little when I changed the oil I noticed some small flakes of metal on the drain magnet. Nothing serious just fine flakes.) So I drained the box and once again small fine metal flakes on the magnet. I removed the box opened it up and completely dismantled it.

When looking inside all of the gears are in great condition, there does not appear to be any play in any of the inner race bearings. In fact nothing appeared to be faulty at all, there was not even any evidence of where the flakes of metal had come from. The only bearings I have not checked were the two output shaft final bearings, just inside the oil seals. (These have to be removed to inspect.)

So my question is this. Has anyone experienced this before on a Discovery 2 or LT230 T/Box? Is this likely to be related to bearings ect? Any Ideas at all?

Thanks again for taking the time, I know I have gone on a little.

Regards

Mikesmif

Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I hate to be the one to hit the KILL switch but flakes are the first sign of bearing damage, your case is shot. How many miles on it?
I would also mention that you do not want to spend the money to have it rebuilt, unless you are very mechanical, it is cheaper to buy a good guaranteed used one, Sorry.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear

The box has only done 70k. I must say that this was my thought too. Is the box difficult to rebuild. I have already stripped it down. Are these bearings difficult to replace? Thanks for reply.

P.S. is an oil change likely to bring this on? It was not making a noise before I did the oil change.

Last edited by mikesmif; 06-06-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:18 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mikesmif
The box has only done 70k. I must say that this was my thought too. Is the box difficult to rebuild. I have already stripped it down. Are these bearings difficult to replace? Thanks for reply.

P.S. is an oil change likely to bring this on? It was not making a noise before I did the oil change.
I had this problem. The stake nut on the ínter shaft had become loose allowing the inter shaft to withdraw and allowing the inter gear cluster to move up and down the shaft about half an inch of play .
It made an awful racket.

Result was to drop tbox and change the inter shaft bearings.

Unless you want a really hard time, take it to a mechanic that knows land rovers.

Im doing mine in my own, it's totally do able but it's a right time consuming pain in the fffing ****.