Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2 - Small Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update: Lift kit is going in Monday evening. Tires will be mounted later in the week when the bumper hopefully arrives.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:31 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew0
I mentioned a few days ago that I was going to be installing a snorkel that I bought off of eBay. It was from a company in Australia called Cane Toad Equipment. It looked legit so I gave it a try.

I started off by examining the template. It looked like what you would see from a Safari snorkel and it lined up with the body panel, so that was a good start. I noticed right away that this snorkel only had 4 mounting stud holes. At first I was worried since the Safari brand has 6 I believe, but in the end this thing was mounted so solidly that this did not bother me one bit. The plastic appeared to be of good quality and the eBay posting claimed it was UV resistant plastic. The seams of the plastic and the snorkel head look identical to that of the Safari brand.

I held the template up to the snorkel and realized the three of the four stud holes on the template were off almost 1/4 inch. Since it wasn't much and I wanted to see how things would have worked if I solely went with the template, so I did that and am able to give a better review.

I drilled the stud holes and the air duct hole as the template instructed. As I thought, those three stud holes were off about 1/4 of an inch - not that big of a problem. The hole/oval that the actual air duct part of the snorkel passed through was spot on though - this was great news. So far so good.

I might add that this came with no directions and only a vague diagram. So, no hole diameters were given. I measured and went with a 2.5 inch hole saw and I think a 3/8 inch bit for the stud holes.

This was going great and the snorkel mounted up to the body work perfectly! The issue arose with the metal intermediate ducting they supplied to connect the snorkel duct to the factory flanged duct inside the engine bay. It was all sorts of messed up. The piece looked really roughly made to begin with and seemed too large because by the time I chopped out enough of the inner fender to pass it through, the two factory air duct studs that it was supposed to mount to were removed for the clearance needed. So I had to improvise that and it took a while.

Aside from that one piece, I had no issues. It looks great! I silaflexed all of the duct work from the air box back and also the spots where water could enter into the air box itself. I'm happy with it.

The snorkel looks good. Nice work.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:00 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My disco was missing the plastic bit of the intake that attaches to the inner fender and the flex-coupling was rotted all to hell.. threw it away. Got lucky and found a new lower air box with both of the pieces I needed on ebay, payed $50 or so, should be arriving by tomorrow.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Looking good, hope the lift install goes smooth

Old 08-12-2016, 09:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you all! The 3 inch old man emu lift went in monday night and the tires were mounted yesterday! I could not be any happier with the lift and tires . It handles a hundred times better and I couldn't ask for a better ride. I am still awaiting my RTE bumper from Bill as it keeps getting held up at the powder coaters. I am told I will have it by Tuesday though! I will post some pictures of it as it sits tomorrow morning!

Old 08-13-2016, 12:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Can't wait for pictures. Everything looks nice so far.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Default OME 3" HD Lift & 255/85r16 BFG MT KM2

Here are a few pictures so far! I was lacking some daylight this morning but hopefully I will be able to get some off the road later in the day.

I am extremely happy with this combination. I read that the ride would be incredibly stiff and rough with this spring combo and I honestly think it is perfect. I wouldn't call it too stiff at all. The nitrocharger shocks are amazing at what they do too. I am a very happy customer.

The tires are exactly what I was looking for! They look awesome in my opinion and I think the pizza cutter look goes great with rovers. They are surprising quiet on the road at all speeds and incredibly smooth! On a decently paved road it feel as if I am riding on a sheet of glass. I could not believe how well it handled! A lot of the body roll is gone when going around bends and turning too. I would say this is a success so far! They guys at the shop I went to to have the tires mounted all thought the truck was awesome and told me everything I had done on it was done the way it should have been. I cannot wait for this bumper to come in now! Tuesday is the ETA.

The bottom of the door is now above my knee; I am 6'1". It definitely gained a lot of height!

It is patiently waiting for some off roading.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

It looks awesome, man! I can't wait to get some larger tires on mine. The 31.6" Cooper AT3 looks kinda tiny at these heights.

I also see you have the same Harbor Freight hitch receiver shackle I have. Can't beat it for $13

Old 08-13-2016, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Looks really good, very curious to hear your initial thoughts on the RTE bumper and a follow up later down the road.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you! Yes the 33" seem to be the right proportion with the 3 inch lift. The hitch shackle came on the rover when I bought it but I've had no problems with it so far.

I think I am going to love this bumper and I think it will hold up well. Bill is a really great guy to work with and I would have had the bumper 3 weeks ago if the powder coater hadn't held it up for that long. I might add that his prices are cheaper now at his newer company "Overtyme Fab" than they are now at his older company "Rovertym Fab" - which he has sold a little while back. I'm not sure what his prices are on everything but I paid $850 for the wide-faced bumper with full brush guard and it is about $1,100 on RTE's website now if i remember correctly.

The ETA is still Tuesday as far as I know but I will call him Monday to verify. I'll be posting some pictures as soon as I get it mounted up! The winch should follow in about 3 weeks or so.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 - Small Build