Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2 td5 ace amber light driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 06:44 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Td5 ace amber light driving advice needed

Hi all,
First of all ive had My disco for about 4 years now, when i bought her i had to replace the rear ace pipes as they had corroded away.
Been fine ever since.
Till today.
Now one of the front has gone a well. Corroded about halfway along one of the pipes and is now leaking.
The level dropped in the reservoir but then stops leaking and keeps the amber light on.
I drove it back to the place on staying in and it hasnt seemed to drop any more.
Do people think I'd be able to drive it home ( im in wales at the moment and have about 200ish miles to drive). Or should i get myself recovered?
Its mainly motorway driving to get back to my place.
Any advice would be greatly appreciate!

Last edited by Rlangley643; 09-15-2016 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Rewording
Old 09-15-2016, 08:04 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

== Edit == Maybe wait for others. Some posts say it will toast you pump in short order and again, I have no actual experience. ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// None of mine have had ACE but I think you are OK to drive as far as needed. Someone else though will chime in with some actual experience. When the level drops, the system is disabled and the valves stop sending fluid to the sway bars. That's why it stopped leaking but the light will remain until you refill. Pretty sure you could drive indefinitely without any real damage to the system so 200 mi until you are able to replace the line is fine.

Last edited by Red5; 09-15-2016 at 08:21 AM. Reason: I may be full of s--t
Old 09-15-2016, 08:51 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

The ACE system stops being active if the fluid level gets too low. So long as there's enough fluid in the reservoir to keep the pump lubricated so it doesn't seize up you should be fine.
I am driving my truck with just an empty ACE pump shell right now, although I'm not doing anything like the distances you're looking at.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:13 AM
3rd Gear

It'll only be a one way trip. And I'll be ordering the new pipes soon as I'm back. So i won't be driving it after that.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Rlangley643
Hi all,
First of all ive had My disco for about 4 years now, when i bought her i had to replace the rear ace pipes as they had corroded away.
Been fine ever since.
Till today.
Now one of the front has gone a well. Corroded about halfway along one of the pipes and is now leaking.
The level dropped in the reservoir but then stops leaking and keeps the amber light on.
I drove it back to the place on staying in and it hasnt seemed to drop any more.
Do people think I'd be able to drive it home ( im in wales at the moment and have about 200ish miles to drive). Or should i get myself recovered?
Its mainly motorway driving to get back to my place.
Any advice would be greatly appreciate!
ACE is just a cornering enhancement as the name denotes (an active AR bar).

Your main issue is to ensure the pump doesn't run dry so if possible remove that belt only as it won't make any noticeable difference but I'm sure the belt is common to all the ancillary components.

My TD5 doesn't have ACE but my previous D2 V8 did, IMO there's little difference, only a PITA when it all goes wrong.

checkout the RAVE manual pages 60-44 onwards

Old 09-15-2016, 12:43 PM
3rd Gear

As good as the ace is i think i may just remove the damn system.
Unfortunately i can't remove the belt as its linked to everything else as well.
I'll give it a go driving and if the fluid level drops any more I'll stop and call a tow.
We'll see how it is in the morning and just hope it hasn't gone down any more.