Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 3: ETC and differentials

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:21 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery 3: ETC and differentials

Hi, i'm italian so sorry me for my poor english...

I'm thinking to buy a brand new Discovery 3 but i need to understand how is working the ETC and the 3 differentials.

I know that the central differential is electronically and automatic blocked for the car and that the rear differential is not blockable (it's an option).

With the central differential i'm ok if one o both wheels of the same axle (for example the front axle) are sleeping.

But id are sleeping two wheels of a different axle (for example the right front wheel and the left real wheel) am i stocked? In this case in a regular 4x4 i need to look the rear differential or the front differential but i can't in the discovery 3.
So in this case how is working the etc in the discovery 3? I'm really stocked or the ETC will help me and keep traction on my car?

Can you help me to have no doubts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Discovery 3: ETC and differentials

I will try and help. first depending on what you aqre going to be using the truck for would determine which LR3 to buy. If you are going to us it for snow and some off road driving then you don't need the locking rears differental, just a good set of tires. If you want to have more fun off the road, I would suggest you get the optionial locking transfer case and rear differential. With that option, you will have power to both rear wheels and one front depending on which one is needing the traction.
It is very hard for me to explain exactly how the ETC work, but basicly if the rear differential is not turned on, the traction control will send power to where it is needed, withe the differential's locked, the traction control is not used as much because the two rear tires are locked up and one front tire will always have traction.
When in doubt but a truck with the optional locking differentials and be safe.
Good luck

Old 09-10-2007, 07:37 AM
3rd Gear

I'll never use the car in off road but in the winter time i'll go every weekend to snowboard into the italian mountains so 100% i'll be into mountains roads full of snow.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Then I would suggest you invest in some good snow tires, that will make a big difference in how the truck will perform. The factory installed Good Year tires are terrible on or off road much less on the snow.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks