Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery crossroad.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 06:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts
Default Discovery crossroad.

I'm kind of at a crossroad with my 01 Dll. I've been doing a mildly ambitious build on it, keeping costs at a minimum and close enough to street legal...in case I decide to put licenses plates back on her. But, lately...my mind has been picturing it at another 'hog-wild" level, 315/75 tires, more lift, lincoln locker, harden axle shafts, roll cage, etc, etc.

Now, if it goes that direction...it's road surface days would be over for good (as far as ever being a daily driver). And that brings me to the crossroad issue. Believe it or not...I miss driving the rover to work as a daily driver. Sick, yes I know...but I do. Usually drive my 84 928 during the spring/summer/fall and 08 Silverado in the winter. The 928 would have to go bye-bye for me to buy-buy. Granted, I have another one (78) that I just garage queen for my addictions to 928's.

All my life, I've been a sports car/4 -wheeler type of guy, flip-flopping from one to the other...but of late...the sports car guy in me is diminishing...and my off-road ways are resurfacing in my blood.

So, I mentioned to my wife that I was thinking about getting "another " Dll for driving to work and possibly towing the designated trail rig/beast. And she said..."do whatever you want to do". Damn, l was hoping she'd say l was crazy and knock the stupid-idea crap out of me. Boy, she's no help...lol. I'd add a heavy duty suspension upgrade 2" lift and proper tires to the daily driver and look for an 04 with 4.6 and CDL.

Anyhow, am I crazy or does this sound plausible? Should I be talked off the ledge or pushed? Do I need to get a different wife, one that will beat some sense into me, now, or just wait until this one eventually takes it upon herself to do so?

Buy or not to buy...that is the question!

Brian.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:59 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I’m no help, but an observation.

When my wife says I m crazy and not to do it, I end up doing it. When she gives me Carte Blanche, I end up talking myself out of it. She has my number...

Old 01-01-2018, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I have 3 Land Rovers and a MGB, I say go for it!

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 07:10 AM
Camel Trophy

Hmmmm, interesting...maybe my wife has been getting pointers from yours Abran...and trying this new approach on me.

Noted.

I'm glad you turned me onto their little scheme...lol.

Brian.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:29 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I have 3 Land Rovers and a MGB, I say go for it!
All British made vechiles...you must be retired and don't "have to" be to work...lol.

Just joking.

But, that's why I keep the Silverado around...l'm still working...and must get there on time...or at least that day. Oh, who am I kidding...I have 112 PTO days saved up (Paid Time Off), 21 vacation days a year and 2 personal days...rovers were meant for a guy like me.

Now, just point me in the direction of a nice 04 Dll!

Brian.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Head south my friend to the land of solid frames.

Since 2002 Land Rover or MG has gotten me where I need to go. There have been a few other vehicles along the way but always a rover in the drive. Rovers when cared for are no less reliable than most anything else with a soul. You know this though or you wouldn't be asking.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 01-01-2018 at 08:43 AM.
The Deputy (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I have 5 LR's and love em all. I don't put as many of miles on my Kalahari as I do the 99 D2, but every time I drive the Kalahari I just smile from ear to ear. I've owned plenty of various 4x4's and the Hummer H3 Alpha was truly amazing, but it lacked interior space. It was bullet proof reliable, but it also was kinda boring.

There is just something about LR's from 87-09 that I really really like. I however think the new Discovery/Discovery Sport are both awful looking vehicles and they remind me more of the Freelander/LR2 vs a Discovery.

I like my 04 D2 S model, but honestly I am not a fan of the 4.6L. Yes it hauls butt vs the 4.0L, but out of all the D2's I've ever owned the 4.6L just seems delicate vs the 4.0L. I've got a silly oil pressure issue at idle on my 04, and honestly I wish it had a nice running 4.0L in it.

I still dream of a 95 RRC SWB, but those are so rare I'd be afraid to drive it & have some idiot try a hit & run on me. I had enough issues with getting my 98 D1 LSE fixed properly and saved from the salvage title world. I say go for it, but hold out for a really nice 04 D2.

The Deputy (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I too would stay away from the 4.6L. Get a 99-early 01 and get a CDL linkage. That 4.0 is much more reliable than the 4.6.

Probably cheaper to buy the earlier models and I think they look more rugged. The other bonus is, the early models have glass headlamps, which, don't fog and turn crappy.

The Deputy (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 12:13 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Head south my friend to the land of solid frames.
Haha...been looking on craigs all morning in your neck of the woods.

Since 2002 Land Rover or MG has gotten me where I need to go. There have been a few other vehicles along the way but always a rover in the drive. Rovers when cared for are no less reliable than most anything else with a soul. You know this though or you wouldn't be asking.
Agreed, my cars (78/84) are as dependable as new vehicles in my mind and would travel coast to coast without issue. So, I'm okay with maintaining older vehicles. Just always need a back up, waiting in the wings.

Thanks,

Brian.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I have 5 LR's and love em all. I don't put as many of miles on my Kalahari as I do the 99 D2, but every time I drive the Kalahari I just smile from ear to ear. I've owned plenty of various 4x4's and the Hummer H3 Alpha was truly amazing, but it lacked interior space. It was bullet proof reliable, but it also was kinda boring.

There is just something about LR's from 87-09 that I really really like. I however think the new Discovery/Discovery Sport are both awful looking vehicles and they remind me more of the Freelander/LR2 vs a Discovery.

I like my 04 D2 S model, but honestly I am not a fan of the 4.6L. Yes it hauls butt vs the 4.0L, but out of all the D2's I've ever owned the 4.6L just seems delicate vs the 4.0L. I've got a silly oil pressure issue at idle on my 04, and honestly I wish it had a nice running 4.0L in it.

I still dream of a 95 RRC SWB, but those are so rare I'd be afraid to drive it & have some idiot try a hit & run on me. I had enough issues with getting my 98 D1 LSE fixed properly and saved from the salvage title world. I say go for it, but hold out for a really nice 04 D2.
If I go the 4.6 route...I'd probably jerk the engine out and run it over to D&D Fabricating (they're 10 miles away) and have them sleeve it. Throw an oil pump assembly at it and hope for 100K of pure bliss. Plus, retirement is knocking at the door...so it would see a lot less miles once that happens...in theory...it could out last me...lol.

And, my eye did keep going to the 01 Dll's on craigslist this morning...just something about the security of the 4.0.

Thanks.

Brian.

Quick Reply: Discovery crossroad.