Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery I vs. II, as first car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:44 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery I vs. II, as first car.

After months of research, I will be getting a discovery as my first car. I am mechanically inclined, and I have free access to a well equipped garage. The question is, which is better as a first car, the D1 or the D2? Why? Fuel economy isn't a problem, given my commute to school is only 5 miles or so. Money is an issue, i've only got about 5,000 or so (I can stretch a bit) to spend on one. Which is more practical?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:50 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

DI owners will tell you DI.
DII owners will tell you DII.
Its all about preference and how you feel about electronics.
DII's have much more electronics, which can be fun... until something goes wrong.

It also comes down to preference on looks. Read over this to see a side by side:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=28599

I've had my DII for over 3 years now, it was my first car also. I wouldn't change a thing, I love it.

To help us answer you question better... What do you plan on using your Disco for? Off roading? Just street driving?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default tough call...

Originally Posted by 7AnitaCross7
After months of research, I will be getting a discovery as my first car. I am mechanically inclined, and I have free access to a well equipped garage. The question is, which is better as a first car, the D1 or the D2? Why? Fuel economy isn't a problem, given my commute to school is only 5 miles or so. Money is an issue, i've only got about 5,000 or so (I can stretch a bit) to spend on one. Which is more practical?

I have a DII and wish i had gotten a DI...why...simpler, less computer controled and where built better to 4 wheel...I prefer the utilitarian of defenders and older LR's and tdi diesels which you cant get with in a NAS truck..The V8 used in the DI and DII are plauged with overheat and catostrophic failures as well as numerous expensive fixes. If you are mechanically inclined and love a challange you will never win...go for it.... price wise...$5k is a DII that needs alot of work.....If you are young and could care less about the interior..find a DI and fix it up slowly...they can be tricked out pretty nice....

http://pangaea-expeditions.com/proje...mel/index.html

welcome to the short bus gang.... Chris

Old 08-01-2010, 10:11 PM
4wd High

Thanks.
I intend to use it for both offroading and as a daily driver. I'm no rock crawler, but I like hitting muddy trails now and again. So from a modding perspective it's irrelevant, I'm not going spend thousands turning it into a beast.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Spend $2000-3000 dollars on the truck and use the rest to bring it up to par.
Get a DI.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 PM
TReK

Like spike just said, spend under budget.
I always tell people to spend about $1000 under budget to fix the early issues. You may want to spend even more under budget.

Buy a 99-00 DII if you like DII's better. You can add center diff lock to those models if you ever want to down the road. (Great for off roading)

Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
DI owners will tell you DI.
DII owners will tell you DII.
Its all about preference and how you feel about electronics.
DII's have much more electronics, which can be fun... until something goes wrong.

It also comes down to preference on looks. Read over this to see a side by side:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=28599

I've had my DII for over 3 years now, it was my first car also. I wouldn't change a thing, I love it.

To help us answer you question better... What do you plan on using your Disco for? Off roading? Just street driving?
Is there any specific electronic gremlins to watch for on DIIs? I can fix a window regulator, but some vital drivetrain control system is beyond my ability.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I have two DIIs and a DI. I prefer the DIIs for driveability, especially for freeway driving. However, the DI is much simpler and therefore, easier to work on. For a first car/truck, I think that I would opt for the DI. You can also get a nice DI for $3000 to $4000, although, I saw a 1999 DII listed in Del Mar with 95k miles, in nice shape for $3500. Heck you could easily part it out for that much! Good luck with the hunt. If you are in So Cal, call me, my kids are headed to school this month. They will be taking one of the DIIs and I am going to sell the DI. Good luck with the hunt. Phil

Old 08-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 7AnitaCross7
Is there any specific electronic gremlins to watch for on DIIs? I can fix a window regulator, but some vital drivetrain control system is beyond my ability.
Laugh my butt off.
Yes, yes there are, lots of them, lots...

SLABS unit, that is what tells the ABS and ECU what is happening at the wheels.
The transmission ECU is the first to loose power when your battery voltage gets to low either from a bad battery or bad alternator.
Repair the low voltage issue and thats fine again.
The "3 Amigos" and the SLS, the HVAC fan, the rear wiper motor, super lock...read through the entire write up and tech sections and all the stickies on the top off the Disco pages.

But seriously, for your first car and just learning to wrench get a DI, fix it up, learn from it, drive it while in school, get a real job and then buy a nice DII.
Then save money by wrenching on the DII.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

A 94 or 95 are stupid easy to fix just about anything.
With '96 they start getting more complicated and more electronics to go wrong that completely immobilize you.

Quick Reply: Discovery I vs. II, as first car.