Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II 2002 Engine Fan Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Discovery II 2002 Engine Fan Issue

Mike,
Thanks for the advice. The fan clutch has little or no resistance when the engine is cold, so it's probably a good idea to replace it anyways.. As for the pulley, I've owned several vehicles that have had a tensioner pulley go bad and that's what I originally thought it sounded like, and I'm not the original owner of this disco, but the previous owners probably didn't have it replaced. I'm gonna call my dealer and see if they'll change it out under recall, if not i'll buy one and do it myself... Thanks again for the info...!!!
Jim

Old 06-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

With the year and age of your truck, I don't know if they will still replace them. One of the pulleys is plastic and junky and the tensioners just give out with time. How many miles on your truck?
By the way, the parts are easy to replace, make sure you change out your belt also, check the water pump for leakage too.
When you call the dealer, have your Vin# and ask them to run it for recalls done and open, so you will know.
There are places on the web where you can buy the tensioner and pulley for less then the dealer and they are OEM parts.
Mike

Old 06-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

...There are places on the web where you can buy the tensioner and pulley for less then the dealer and they are OEM parts.
Mike
There are also places that you can obtain the wrenches you need to make removal and replacement of the fan clutch ***'y a piece of cake. I was a little put-off at first, but after doing a water pump replacement myself on my '00 DII, it went very well - don't be intimidated, just get the wrenches for your vehicle and have at it!
Good luck, Bill

Old 11-14-2006, 11:06 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 Disco2. I get the roaring noise only after it has been driven for about 20 minutes. The noise may last 3 to 5 mnutes then go away only to come back again. The noise does not change with speed, does not change if I out it in neutral and rev the engine. The fan hub seems fine. I would think pulley but there is no belt wear or smell. Lots of vibration when this happens.[:@]

Old 11-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are getting a vibration when the fan clutch is engaging, then the component is failing OR you have a fan blade that is cracked. When the tensioner pulley starts to go there is a low-level "grinding" noise from the bearing and a perceptible vibration that varies in pitch and amplitude with increasing engine speeds. I have both parts available on my web-site (www.eurotekapg.com).

Let me know what you find. Oh!-- you also need to replace the serpentine belt when changing out these components.

regards,
Geoman