Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II brush bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 06:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are confident it will fit your 03 and the shipping charges are low and you want it, then it is yours. The look is really nice, I get a lot of compliments from people when I go places.

I'll definitely get those mounting pictures up today for you. As far as shipping, did that $60 UPS quote included the oversized dimensions of the brush guard? Because that seems almost too reasonable - hopefully though. Like I said I will post the photos today and if you're still into it I could take it off and bring it to the UPS store and get an accurate quote.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:37 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

"I'll definitely get those mounting pictures up today for you. As far as shipping, did that $60 UPS quote included the oversized dimensions of the brush guard?"

I guessed at the dimensions, and I estimated 60 pounds. It was actually just over $33 to my zip. We are pretty close to each other. I was surprised it wasn't more.

Let me know if you can get a hard cost to ship it, and how you want me to pay.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Here are a couple pictures of the mounts. Sorry about the poor photos but you can get an idea of it from them. You would get all the hardware including bolts, nuts, washers, mounts, etc. along with the brush bar.

The plan is to take it off this afternoon and take it to go get a UPS quote. If all goes according to plan I could ship them out as early as tomorrow if you would want to do that. Paypal would be the easiest payment option in my opinion. I'll let you know of the shipping cost later today.

Driver's side

Driver's side

Passenger's side

Passenger's side

Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Actually, if those through-bolts and nuts are what holds my bumper on, then I will be keeping those haha. Just realized that may be the case.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Mudding

Looks like it should work. I won't be able to get under the truck until later today to look at where it would mount.

I do not have a paypal account. I closed my account years ago after I got hacked through it.

Can I pay you through paypal using my credit card, into your account?

Old 03-22-2016, 04:02 PM
Mudding

OK, it looks like it should work.

One question, I assume that the brush bar replaces the bolted in cross member that connects across the front section of the frame, as well as the replacing the tow ring?

There is a tubular cross member that bolts right where you have the A bar brackets connected. That cross member runs just below the radiator, and appears as though it is there to protect the undercarriage. It is bolted in, so I would think it is not structural.

I appears as though that cross member would have to come out. It is clearly not in the pictures of your truck. Does anyone know what it's purpose is? Can I safely remove it to mount and use the A bar?

Old 03-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

The steering protector cross member stays. The brackets go around the bumper/steering protector cross member. You will need longer thru frame bolts, and make sure to get grade 8 bolts. There will be some trimming of your front bumper as well in order for the brush guard brackets to poke thru the bumper to allow you to slide the brush guard into position and bolt it down.

As you can see in the pictures above the bolts MUST be extremely tight due to the slot design of the bracket or that brush guard WILL push in and do damage to your front bumper no doubt about it.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

What I learnt from mine — replace all that hardware (nuts, bolts and washers) with new stainless. Worth the cost.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:11 AM
Mudding

"As you can see in the pictures above the bolts MUST be extremely tight due to the slot design of the bracket or that brush guard WILL push in and do damage to your front bumper no doubt about it."

Would it make sense, once I have it all bolted in place or done a full mock up, to drill a pair of holes for a set pin, to keep it from moving?

Old 03-23-2016, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

For light duty probably not, I've seen some people get them where they want and have it tack welded to prevent future movement.