Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II Head Gaskets -- Not OEM

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Discovery II Head Gaskets -- Not OEM

Time for a Head Gasket job.

I read on here in the past that there are some aftermarket Head Gaskets and head bolts that are super better than OEM.

Does anyone recall the name of them and the supplier?

Thanks

Old 04-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Elring for the head gaskets
Any head bolts are fine

Old 04-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I am ordering for my headgasket job, and Lucky 8 can upgrade to Elring.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:56 PM
TReK
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

If you're looking for better than OEM, switch to studs instead of bolts. Lucky8 can sort you out there.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks, I always get my stuff from Lucky8. Ill order today

Old 04-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I just ordered the "normal" lucky8 kit that is on the website.. Should be fine. I thought about the ARP hardware but I had read a few posts about the hardware causing some issues with the block. Granted, its probably not true (aka internet BS) but really i'm just to cheap to spend the $130 for the kit.

I figure when the time comes for a new motor that i'll go that route and do things properly

Old 04-03-2018, 06:10 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

HG's, Victor Reinz or Elring, amongst the best. Head bolts, I always used ARP for heads and bottom end.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
HG's, Victor Reinz or Elring, amongst the best. Head bolts, I always used ARP for heads and bottom end.
what did you torque the arp studs to? Is it a crazy amount of torque for an Aluminum block? I am a little nervous I may damage the bolt holes if I do the Studs.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover

what did you torque the arp studs to? Is it a crazy amount of torque for an Aluminum block? I am a little nervous I may damage the bolt holes if I do the Studs.
Hi Collie

If you are using studs and not bolts the studs don't need any extreme torquing into the block, a pure guess is around 40-50 lb/ft max. The head nuts need the correct torquing down though but be sure to lube the nuts and washers first.

I'm afraid I can't remember the exact torque settings but I'm sure they aren't OTT for the head bolts but it needs a nominal amount of lube on the bolt threads and shafts but only lightly wiped on, contrary to popular belief, but only on the threads and shafts as you don't want hydraulic lock pressures in the block, assembly lube is good or failing this use clean engine oil. Clean out the block threads well before assembly using some brake cleaner or cellulose thinners and blow out with an airline. Hope this helps you.

PS: Speak to Sixpack as he is currently refurbishing his engine carefully and I'm sure he has the correct torque settings to hand.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi Collie

If you are using studs and not bolts the studs don't need any extreme torquing into the block, a pure guess is around 40-50 lb/ft max. The head nuts need the correct torquing down though but be sure to lube the nuts and washers first.

I'm afraid I can't remember the exact torque settings but I'm sure they aren't OTT for the head bolts but it needs a nominal amount of lube on the bolt threads and shafts but only lightly wiped on, contrary to popular belief, but only on the threads and shafts as you don't want hydraulic lock pressures in the block, assembly lube is good or failing this use clean engine oil. Clean out the block threads well before assembly using some brake cleaner or cellulose thinners and blow out with an airline. Hope this helps you.

PS: Speak to Sixpack as he is currently refurbishing his engine carefully and I'm sure he has the correct torque settings to hand.
The kit says 70ft/lbs on line. I am going to buy some extra lube. The studs go hand tight into the block. I am going to use assembly lube from ARP TO do it, not loctite. I do not want to have to tighten the head down immediately.

I am going to make Thread chasers, and clean with brake cleaner. I am also hoping the pistons and surface are not too dirty. I don't have air, but am going to get canned air, and also use a shop vac.

The term hand tight, does that mean just get it in until it stops or to use a socket and had tighten it as hard as I can?

I am also going to clean the rest of the bolt holes, and got new bolts for the lower intake as well. Should I soak those in oil?

When do you use threadlocker?

Quick Reply: Discovery II Head Gaskets -- Not OEM