Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II Head Gaskets -- Not OEM

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:33 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
The term hand tight, does that mean just get it in until it stops or to use a socket and had tighten it as hard as I can?

I am also going to clean the rest of the bolt holes, and got new bolts for the lower intake as well. Should I soak those in oil?

When do you use threadlocker?
When we did mine we interpreted hand-tight as just that, no socket or wrench. The ARP instructions specify not applying torque. It felt sketchy, but the disco has been chugging away happily since the HG job so it works.

I used threadlocker on the bottom set of threads on each stud. The ARP instructions don't mention it, but if I recall correctly I was following someone's advice from this forum (or another LR forum).

The instruction set is here if you want to take a gander at it.

Last edited by Psycho_Taco; 04-06-2018 at 09:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 09:49 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho_Taco
When we did mine we interpreted hand-tight as just that, no socket or wrench. The ARP instructions specify not applying torque. It felt sketchy, but the disco has been chugging away happily since the HG job so it works.

I used threadlocker on the bottom set of threads on each stud. The ARP instructions don't mention it, but if I recall correctly I was following someone's advice from this forum (or another LR forum).

The instruction set is here if you want to take a gander at it.
I have to do the job outside, and using the threadlocker means you need to install the head immediately. Being alone, outside, if something goes wrong, rain, forgot something, I don't want that pressure or to reclean the holes.

What is the logic behind the bottom, not the rest?

Old 04-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Sounds really complicated

Old 04-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I have to do the job outside, and using the threadlocker means you need to install the head immediately. Being alone, outside, if something goes wrong, rain, forgot something, I don't want that pressure or to reclean the holes.

What is the logic behind the bottom, not the rest?
To be honest, I wrote it down to use threadlocker on my cheatsheet for when I went to put them in, but for the life of me I can't find w/e forum thread I saw it in. I'd imagine you could use the ARP stuff on both sides and the nut and call it a day.

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Sounds really complicated
Saturnine with what I've followed you doing in your apartment's parking lot I figure this would sort of thing would be a breeze for you!

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

To be honest, I wrote it down to use threadlocker on my cheatsheet for when I went to put them in, but for the life of me I can't find w/e forum thread I saw it in. I'd imagine you could use the ARP stuff on both sides and the nut and call it a day.

Saturnine with what I've followed you doing in your apartment's parking lot I figure this would sort of thing would be a breeze for you!
I have to start doing a better job of bookmarking, too. There was an oil study I now cannot find! T4 it is.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I appreciate that but really I'm an idiot.