Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

discovery II tires blocked?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:05 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default discovery II tires blocked?

two days ago after passing RR Xsing a big noise started under, few feet after just got tires all locked and just manage to pull out the road, so I waited for towing and even them couldn't do anything but pull hard to sit in their bed, need help tyo understand what the problem is before spending big money to fix it.... maybe transmition fluid low? so you all now is all sealed appare3ntly, thanks in advance for your comments

Old 01-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I'm not sure what your asking but you can check and fill the transmission fluid.

The following users liked this post:
opndesk (01-09-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So, Did it lock up....like it won't even roll?

If that's what you're saying... jack it up so the front or rear wheel are off the ground, or all 4 would be better. Put the tranny in neutral. See if you can spin the tires by hand. Then try it with the transfer case in neutral.

Or explain exactly what's going on so people can help.

The following users liked this post:
opndesk (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 07:26 AM
7th Gear

thanks, since this is new to me i'll try to explain better commenting on your answers, couldn't spin wheels at all in neutral, try to put the double traction in neutral but does not move the stick either, that night a friend mention to fill up transmission fluid but this model appears to have all sealed and does not show (or could not find) where to fill, seems that I have to tow to a shop to have them do the job? if that is the case your suggestions are well appreciated in fact I posted this so I know it will not be something a mechanic will add up to what really need. i'm in Louisville ky so a recommendation for a good land rover mechanic will be good too.. thanks

Old 01-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

ok, i'll give it a shot.

transmission has a fill hole and a drain hole. drain is the little one on bottom. level fill plug is up higher. you must fill it while truck is running and engage gears to allow for proper circulation and level. the only "sealed aspect" is the absence of a dipstick.

if you ran it low for too long you could have cooked it. but this usually comes with indications before sudden death....like sticking gears, hard shifts, ect.

your transfer case (double traction?) can be hard to change gears to neutral or low or in-between any of those without the truck running/rolling.

you should be able to spin a wheel, if it is off the ground. you need to get all 4 wheels off the ground, on jack stands, to see what is rolling what is not.

some things to look at.
lights on dash. what is on? brake lights? transmission codes?
emergency brake works off of the transmission
linkage and cables. are they connected, broken, bent? ( makes sense, as you had you just crossed the railroad tracks) can you feel shifter trying to engage?

you have to do some testing to see where the problem is.
you have to look around and check it out. take some pictures, check some fluids.

Last edited by dusty1; 01-09-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Hopefully your emergency brake assembly just imploded...not the tranny

Jack it up and see what turns, pull the rear driveshaft and see if the back turns etc, etc...Like Dusty said.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:32 AM
7th Gear

Thanks!! Great learning and makes me feel so much better, will do the break check, the refill and sure will take pictures. Appreciate your comment