Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II transmission/torque converter issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:06 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Discovery II transmission/torque converter issues

Hello everyone,
I inherited an 04 DII from my aunt under the assumption and dealer recommendation (to my aunt) that it needed a new transmission. After replacing the transmission I have since discovered that there's an ok chance it didn't actually need one but i'm moving on because there's nothing i can change about it now

Truck has about 154k on it and transmission I put in (shop put it) had 70k on it. In the month since replacing the tranny I've encountered some issues.

1. just about every fillup i get a SES light p0741 "torque converter clutch solenoid circuit performance or stuck off"

2. When accelerating from a stop going up a hill, the car has a tendency to rev up (upon depressing the gas), crawl, then seemingly clunk into gear and then go forward normally. Also on level ground it sometimes does the same thing when i put it in reverse

3. Often when slowing down to a stop I hear a clunk, probably between 20mph and 0. I assume this is a downshift/unlocking of the torque converter

4. It clunks and shifts rather hard into 4th or overdrive (not sure which) on light throttle. IE around 40mph 2000rpm, clunk and jerk, then we're at 1500rpm.

Is there something mechanical going on inside the transmission that my shop needs to fix under warranty? or is there maybe something electronic going on that has nothing to do with the second hand tranny?

Old 08-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not sure about #1 but a possible cause of #'s 2 thru 4 are your rubber rotoflex coupler that sits between your rear driveshaft and your transfer case. It looks like this. Rubber Coupling For Drive Shaft Of Land Rover

I experienced a lot of clunking with my high mileage '04 when shifting from reverse to drive, also sometimes into reverse and every once in a while exactly like your #4 describes. I have always read that our transmissions are pretty stout but figured mine was transmission related anyway and didn't worry too much about it. Earlier this year I replaced my rear drive shaft with a new Tom Woods shaft and deleted the rubber rotoflex by installing a conversion kit (seen here https://www.lucky8llc.com/collection...onversion-kits ) and my clunking transmission suddenly got quiet.

Turns out it wasn't the transmission like I assumed after all.

Caveat - If you do replace your rubber rotoflex go with the factory Rover replacement made in Germany. Lot's of posts recently about the aftermarket ones not lasting for long at all. You can search on this forum to read more about those issues.

For your #1 issue I'd check the fluid level on your transmission. Don't assume the shop that installed your new tranny filled it up correctly, the engine needs to be running and you have to run through the gears and then back to park and then back to filling the transmission several times to get the last 2 to 3 quarts of fluid into your transmission. Again, search on here for several decent write ups about how to do this, it's scary the first time around but not hard at all.

If low fluid isn't the case then I might suspect your XYZ switch which I understand to be a pita to access and expensive to replace even if you do the work yourself. There is a tutorial for rebuilding one somewhere on this forum but most seem to buy a used switch and roll with that. Check with Abran or some of the other sellers on this forum for quality used parts.

Check the fluid and the shape of your rotoflex bushing and then let us know what you find. Maybe others with more experience or other ideas will chime in.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You should check your fluid level. I've had #2 on a car and it was because I was 1/2 a quart low.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Thanks guys. Transmission fluid was fine. Now getting two additional codes: P0734, gear 4 incorrect ratio and p0335 camshaft position a circuit malfunction though

Old 09-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I put in (shop put it) had 70k on it.
Fluid and filter changed when installed? Regardless may be a good idea to at least do another drain and refill.

LR Manual references for the trans codes:
P0734
(32)
* Ratio monitoring,
implausible 4th gear
ratio
No apparent effect

P0741
(5)
* Torque converter
lock-up clutch fault
May affect driveability.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Drifting

I know the fluid was changed. I'd have to check the receipt for the filter, but lets assume that it was changed for now.
Some more research has indicated that the PCM, ECM or TCM may be to blame, along with the XYZ switch. Also that the lockup solenoid valve is going bad, which is inside the transmission?

Transmission computer replacement is a pill I can swallow because they're under $100. XYZ switch however i haven't found from a reputable source under $200.

I'll be taking the truck into the shop that replaced my tranny in the morning with my list of issues and see what they can figure out. Really i'm going to tell them that if it's not covered under their warranty I don't want them to do it. IE if it doesn't involve pulling the transmission out and going through it, I can do it myself.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:14 AM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I am riding the late train, what was the outcome. I have the same two codes:
1. po0741
2. The code for 4th gear rato

Old 05-05-2019, 08:51 AM
Drifting

I believe the shop replaced a few seals and things inside the trans. It was a used unit so maybe it needed a little refurb before getting installed in my car.

I have gotten the gear 4 ratio light a couple times in the last 2 years but after clearing the code, it never comes back on a regular basis so I dont really care. And the car drives fine.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:43 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

Check for vacuum leaks, I have the ratio codes both times it was bad vacuum hose in the engine compartment never the transmission. There are a lot of little vacuum hoses check them all.