Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling! Help please!

Old 04-30-2019, 10:02 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling! Help please!

Howdy everyone!

I wanna start this off by saying I am a new Land Rover owner, love the hell out it btw! I have owned my 2000 disco 2 since October, probably my favorite vehicle of all that I have owned, period.

However, in the last week and a half I have been having some serious stalling issues. It had been running fine and dandy up until then, except for a rare short stall here and there and by that it was almost not even noticable, just kinda cut out on me a few times driving down the highway. Also noticed it was kinda idling a little higher when stopped in the road.

Well I woke up one morning, me and my wife were heading to the boys ball practice. Did not make it hardly 100ft down the road and it stalled, almost like the ignition had been shut off. I stopped the vehicle and restarted, started just fine. Ended up stalling again not even 50 more ft. So I decided to turn around and go back home and get the car. I lurked the forums since then and have seen that stalling was quiet an issue with disco 2s. I started by cleaning the MAF sensor and IACV. The idle air control was horrendously nasty and I ran 2 can of carb cleaner thru it before it ever got clean. Cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner, cleaned the throttle body pretty good, not as good as I should have and put it all back together. Replaced the fuel pump relay as well.

Jumped back in her and headed to town, hardly stalled on me at all and the idle was better and noticed after cleaning everything up it felt like a new vehicle as far as throttle response and accelerating goes. Made a huge difference cleaning all that up. Then it started it again, idle is fine, always starts immediately after stalling but its stalling again. I drove to town the other day and decided to unplug the MAF sensor and it drove well without it now it stalls with or without it unplugged. Seems to stall more when going uphill or accelerating, the longer its driven the worse it gets. Seemed to do a little better after adding a bottle of fuel additive.

I did manage to get it to advanced auto the other day and get some codes read... Here are the codes that came up.

p0455
p0102
p0112
p1230
p1590

any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would also like to note that I just removed the crank shaft position sensor this morning, it was stupid hard to get to and remove... hoping it goes on easier than it came off! There was quiet a bit of oil and grease inside the sensor on the little needle that went into the engine. Is this normal??

Another note is that when I first purchased the vehicle, whoever had it before me did not have an air filter at all on the vehicle. They said if you barely put your hand over the air intake it would die out and couldnt be ran with a filter. So I purchased an edlebrock universal filter and it did perfect with it. Could not having a filter on it possibly lead to the issue I am having now? Also if were the crank shaft sensor wouldn't it have shown up on the code readings?

If the CKP sensor is not my issue, I think I will go with a fuel pump next. Although I hear if it's the crank sensor, when it dies it is hard to start till it cools down. That is not the case with mine, no matter how hot it is, it always fires right up. It's like someone just turns the key off. I recall once when it stalled that there was some really loud clunking noises in the engine, sounded very bad. Pulled on side of road and plugged my maf sensor back up, clunking was gone and I fired it up and managed to make it home.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Step 1: Download the RAVE manual. I had the paper workshop manual, and love RAVE, because of the ability to search a keyword, print a page, get it greasy, throw it away, print another, make notes, etc.
Step 2: Use "Find" using the words "Evaporative emissions system" and "EVAP". Read and learn.

I think your problem is here somewhere. I have yet to deal with this, but many on here have. You will get a lot of advice to "replace this", "replace this", "replace this", "replace this", "replace this", and so on. Resist this temptation! Take the time to inspect and diagnose. It is a big part of owning one of these.
I would start with the purge valve....

Old 04-30-2019, 11:15 AM
Drifting

Thank you for stopping by and lending a hand!

I know there has been a strong odor of gas inside of the vehicle for a long time now. I have always wondered where the smell came from, never could find a source. Also have not detected any actual fuel leaks on the vehicle nor on the ground.

Could this purge valve cause me to stall out??

Old 04-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

The info u need is in the RAVE search the codes and it will point u towards your issue.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:07 PM
Drifting

I downloaded the rave manual. Searched the codes by number and nothing resulted in the search. Is there a specific way to search these codes?

Old 04-30-2019, 12:17 PM
Drifting

I will also add that I had advanced auto order me a new fuel pump relay and the problem still persists. Is it possible that the relay has to be a "certain brand in order to function properly as does almost everything else on the discos?

Old 04-30-2019, 02:43 PM
Drifting

CollieRover, I see you had almost the exact same problem as me back a few months ago that you had issues figuring our and in the end it ended up being your CPS. Hopefully that is the exact same case with mine. Getting one sent on the way here tonight, already have the current one taken off.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:24 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

P0102 Mass or volume air flow low input MAF signal < minimum threshold, which is speed dependent
P0112 Intake air temperature circuit low input Intake air temperature signal less than minimum threshold, after time for exhaust to warm up
P1230 Fuel pump relay malfunction Fuel pump relay open circuit - not the fuel pump

Found online - "code p0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened: A loose or improperly affixed gas cap A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand) Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system." Could you have P0455? That is purge Valve.

I did have a bad CPS, and that solved it, and only install a Bosch. Order and install a new Bosch MAF based on codes, if your wiring looks good. You can get a Hyundai Purge Valve, and splice in or go to a parts breaker.

P1590 is Rough Road and related to ABS System so you will need a scanner that can access that system.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:25 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Well if the engine can not pull enough air to run with an air filter that is really bad sign. My Rave does not have a copy of the Landrover OBDII codes but can google them pretty easy.

Just Google land rover discovery 2 p0102 code for example

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (04-30-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 01:53 AM
Drifting

Installed a brand new Bosch crank shaft sensor. Disco is still stalling, maybe even worse. So I guess we ruled that one out. Any other ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stalling! Help please!