Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Custom iPod Interface Fabrication (PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Custom iPod Interface Fabrication (PICS!)

I've seen a few threads regarding iPod/iPhone integration before, but I've always been left wondering "why do I HAVE to store the iPod/iPhone in the glovebox, center console, etc?" So, always favoring the "factory" look, I set out to fabricate an integration system that looked, well, factory!

Much of my inspiration came from this thread by JMT (thanks!):

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ictures-12252/

I, too used the Grom Audio iPod interface to replace my 6 disc changer:

Rover LandRover 99-05 USB Bluetooth iPod car interface adapter

My idea was was to integrate the iPod/iPhone into the ash tray, for 3 reasons:

1. Stock look. If iPods/iPhones existed in 2000, Land Rover could/should have offered this an interior option.
2. Security. Upon exiting the truck, I'm able to simply grab my iPhone and push the tray shut. This eliminates any kind of temptations for thieves, as there is no evidence of an iPod/iPhone set-up.
3. Stability. There is no clanking, flopping or otherwise moving around while driving. That's good.

Items Used:

*Grom iPod Interface w/included 3.5mm input cable AND optional iPod connection cable (+$24.99)

*1 Apple iPhone 4 dock:

Apple iPhone 4 Dock - Apple Store (U.S.)

*Rover Radio Removal Tools:

Radio Removal Tool (LRA-76-001ABP Same Fit As Genuine Part # C10036-REV A) - Land Rover radios from Atlantic British

*Plastic Weld:

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...astic_Weld.htm

*Legos. Yes, I said Legos. More on that in a minute...

*Dremmel. Hours of Dremmeling... Ugh.

Prep:

Our victims:

Name:  9ed7d9fd.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  17.4 KB

First, I took out my ash tray (I actually switched the change drawer and the ash tray; keeping the ash tray on the driver's side) and Dremmel'd a large hole to run the iPod cable out of the tray up to the head unit.

Before:

Name:  80558205.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  48.7 KB

After:

Name:  866e7e25.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  53.8 KB

Next, I Dremmel'd the metal cigarette "rest" out:

Before:

Name:  c127dd76.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  74.4 KB

After:

Name:  dea8330d.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  61.8 KB

Next, I test-fit the cable and the dock:

Name:  181fae17.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  56.5 KB

Then, I Plastic Welded some Legos to shim up the sloped bottom of the tray:

Name:  9d174bd2.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  58.5 KB

Finished tray mock-up:

Name:  7bf3cc8b.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  40.7 KB

Installation:

Radio comes out:

Name:  290bf599.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  67.4 KB

The blue plug is what we're looking to replace:

Name:  26cd486b.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  67.8 KB

With the Grom Adapter cable installed in-place of the 6 disc changer:

Name:  1e062210.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  67.0 KB

Next, I removed the cupholder assembly to better access the back of the stereo bay:

Name:  3f3baac7.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  82.5 KB

I ran the cables (3.5mm and the iPod adapter plug) up towards the back of the stereo. Use a bright flashlight to look for pathways -- there's plenty of space:

Name:  2408b7c8.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  88ed871f.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  f8ba1b61.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  69.8 KB

Next, I Dremmel'ed out some plastic on the cupholder assembly to allow clearance for the wires, as they tend to bend and bunch when the ash tray slides in and out of the dashboard:

Before:

Name:  1a02cffa.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  33.0 KB

After:

I tested EVERYTHING at least 5 times before I reinstalled anything!

Name:  da64131c.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  55.2 KB

Then, I reinstalled the cupholder assembly and CAREFULLY adjusted the slack for both cables. This is important because if too much slack exists behind the ash tray, it will bind. Before reinstalling the head-unit, tuck as much of the 3.5mm and iPod cables down as you can. There is plenty of space, again.

After everything was plugged in, lined up and properly "slacked," I epoxied the Apple dock to the Legos in the ash tray, being VERY careful not to disturb any of the connections or alignments. DO NOT RUSH THIS PART.

Name:  a752468e.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  37.5 KB

Once the epoxy cured, I reinstalled the head-unit and tightened the screws on the opposite side of the cupholder assembly. That's it!

The Final Product:

Name:  b25ed88b.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  58.2 KB

Observations, afterthoughts, etc:

* You cannot use the stereo controls with the Apple dock and 3.5mm combo. The Apple dock is not "transparent," as it were -- the dock was designed to charge and sync with iTunes on a Mac or PC, not flow audio out of the 30-pin connection (that I know of). You must use the 3.5mm cable to achieve audio. These were all acceptable casualties to me, but YMMV. The iPhone/iPod charges, plays and the steering wheel volume controls work. That was all I wanted with this build.

Hope this helps anyone considering doing a custom-ish iPod installation!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well blow me down, I applaud your ingenuity.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Mudding

Very cool! Congrats on a fine job.

I just received my Grom unit this weekend. I also bought a factory stereo with CD player so I can still use CDs if I want, since I am eliminating the disc changer. I am also adding Bluetooth to it. Your write up sure helps to know what to look forward to.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Great Work, and nice pictures.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Overlanding

Geez! Nice work, and what a gift to share with us! Thank you... Really superb efforts on explaining the process...

Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Mudding

Where does the USB portion of the IPOD connection hook up into?

Old 02-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Three Wheeling

lego weld is my favorite part haha, well done!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Great job and great write-up/pictures

I am seriously considering replicating your mod. I am having a hard time understanding your last notes, though... You can control volume via steering column, but must select songs with iPhone? Can still use stereo (not CD changer) with iPhone out of dock?

Considering installing a couple of LEDs in the Lego area, to help visibility at night (hey, I'm old and blind). Anyone have any suggestions where I might wire these to, to correspond with dash illumination?

Again, sweet job!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by SolbergFanBoi
Where does the USB portion of the IPOD connection hook up into?
There is no USB portion on the Grom iPod cable. The (I believe) 8-pin connector plugs into the back of the Grom box.

Originally Posted by DonRW2007
I am seriously considering replicating your mod. I am having a hard time understanding your last notes, though... You can control volume via steering column, but must select songs with iPhone? Can still use stereo (not CD changer) with iPhone out of dock?

Considering installing a couple of LEDs in the Lego area, to help visibility at night (hey, I'm old and blind). Anyone have any suggestions where I might wire these to, to correspond with dash illumination?

Again, sweet job!
Yes. Unfortunately, song selection must take place on the iPod/iPhone - as far as I know. I will typically just set a playlist up, or let it play on random.

And yes, you can still use your stereo. When you select the "CD" button to activate the Grom box, it's just as if you were changing from the radio to the CD changer. The only difference is that your CD changer was unplugged (the blue connector removed above).

A "Rover" green LED set-up would be sweet! I thought of that as well, but I'm not sure where I'd draw the power from. Hmm...

Old 02-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Drifting

I really like this setup. Nice work. It looks like the Grom adapter is only compatible with Alpine units. I have the factory navigation, and I don't see an option for the changer. Am I SOL?

Quick Reply: DIY: Custom iPod Interface Fabrication (PICS!)