Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Doorlock Pin Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default DIY Doorlock Pin Replacement

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I searched and couldn't find a how to on this subject, so I thought this might be useful to others.

Tools needed:
  • T25 Torx Bit
  • 5/64 Roll Pin Punch
  • Door Panel Removal Tools (Panel Poppers)
  • A really small pair of hands

I bought this door lock pin. Falconworks makes one as well. Theirs is made out of brass, and I couldn't justify the cost difference.

Start by removing the door panel (
)

With the door panel completely removed make a hole in the vapor barrier on the upper left hand side. If your door locks have been replaced you'll already have one that's been taped up.

Using a light and looking up in the corner you'll see this.

The cream plastic holding on to the latch rod needs to be disconnected. It is a two piece design and the part that looks like it's going around the shaft needs to be pulled towards you then swung up and out of the way. After that the rod should be able to be gently pushed out of the fixture.

Next remove the door handle.
You might want to have a your hand in the door to catch the old pin.

In this picture you can see the new one installed, hopefully that gives you a good idea of how it goes in there.

Once it's out you'll need to drift the roll pin out, unfortunately I didn't take a picture of it, but it's not hard at all if you have the right tools. Mine broke at where that action takes place and I had to use a small pick to get the tip of the old one out. Then put the new one in using the same roll pin.

Here's a horrible picture of the old vs the new.

The hardest part of this whole job is putting it back together. You will need to put one hand inside of the door to guide the pin into the fixture then, holding it in place, give the door handle a bump with the palm of your hand to drive it home. Next I suggest you bolt the handle back down or you'll probably dislodge it again while trying to reconnect the latch rod. Reconnecting that rod is where it would pay dividends to have really tiny hands (I fully support employing child labor for this).

Hope that helps someone, I'm sorry for the lack of detailed pictures, but hopefully you can figure it out from what I've written.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mskembo:
JUKE179r (02-06-2017), OverRover (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 07:17 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

You definitely made the right choice, that's the pin that Abran is selling > https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...ock-pin-82291/

The following users liked this post:
Mskembo (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Awesome! Now I don't have to do the the write up!!!

Old 02-06-2017, 09:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abran
Awesome! Now I don't have to do the the write up!!!
You would have been my hero if you had! LOL! Most of this was process of elimination, but I am an engineer so that helps. I still think I messed up on the adjustment of the door pull transfer bar (whatever the name of that thing is), so I'll have to open it up again this weekend and see how to adjust it.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I visited Abran last week about another issue and he showed me this door lock pin that he has created. Looks like a work of art! If I end up having a problem with my door lock pin.... Coming to see you Abran!!

Thanks again Abran for diagnosing and clearing my ABS lights!!!

Old 02-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 80's old school
I visited Abran last week about another issue and he showed me this door lock pin that he has created. Looks like a work of art! If I end up having a problem with my door lock pin.... Coming to see you Abran!!

At $25, just buy one and keep it in your glove box. I had to wait a couple of days to get mine and my Disco was rifled through the other night. If I'd had it prior to that I would have done it the day it broke and had no issues.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by 80's old school

my pleasure!

Old 02-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by Mskembo
At $25, just buy one and keep it in your glove box. I had to wait a couple of days to get mine and my Disco was rifled through the other night. If I'd had it prior to that I would have done it the day it broke and had no issues.
^exactly, everybody needs one(shameless plug)...

Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by Mskembo
You would have been my hero if you had! LOL! Most of this was process of elimination, but I am an engineer so that helps. I still think I messed up on the adjustment of the door pull transfer bar (whatever the name of that thing is), so I'll have to open it up again this weekend and see how to adjust it.
The linkage from the actuator to the door handle engages more if you turn it counter clockwise.

Is your handle not opening the door without an extra hard pull?

Old 02-07-2017, 01:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abran
The linkage from the actuator to the door handle engages more if you turn it counter clockwise.

Is your handle not opening the door without an extra hard pull?
No, it takes a pretty firm pull to open it. I'll open her up tonight and turn it counter clockwise to get the door handle feel back.

Quick Reply: DIY Doorlock Pin Replacement