Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Gauge Pod

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Napa has aerosol "rubberized undercoating" that I think would almost perfectly duplicate the feel and texture of the DII dash. I'll look into it and get back. Probably going to finish it up this afternoon.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by willrok13
Thanks guys. I'm pleased with it overall. Now I just have to smooth it out and find a color I like.

All of this fiberglass work has gotten me thinking about making a Saudi spec grille. I'm probably going to get started on that in the next couple weeks. I'll let you know how it turns out...

Any chance someone could post a link about the Saudi spec grille?

Is the benefit performance/efficiency or cosmetic?

Thx,

Thomas

P.S. Great job and thanks for posting your work BTW

Old 10-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How "advanced" or "difficult" of a fiberglass project was this?

Do you think this is something a fiberglass beginner or virgin could do?

How much were the materials and job specific tools (brushes?)etc?

Thanks,

Thomas

Old 10-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willrok13

Also, I used a 30 amp relay to wire the gauge off of the headlight circuit. While I was at it, I ran a single 10 gauge power wire from the battery through the grommet where the hood release cable is routed and installed an auxiliary fuse panel under the dash. That way all of my accessories are run independently from the vehicle wiring. I have heard too many horror stories of electrical gremlins showing up after tapping the vehicle wiring. Good luck.
Explain a little more please. When you used the headlight circuit, wouldn't you have to have the headlights on for the gauge to have power? Maybe yours isn't electrical and is ran by oil psi through a tube of oil? I like the idea of a seperate fuse panel. I may do that. I have my gauge ran off my cigerette lighter right now. Its a 20 amp fuse. I don't ever use it, and if I do need to charge my phone I put a switch under the dash to flick it off so I can have more volts.. lol The fuse panel and tapping of headlight circuit. How hard would that be to do on a DI??

Old 10-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by atancreti
Explain a little more please. When you used the headlight circuit, wouldn't you have to have the headlights on for the gauge to have power? Maybe yours isn't electrical and is ran by oil psi through a tube of oil? I like the idea of a seperate fuse panel. I may do that. I have my gauge ran off my cigerette lighter right now. Its a 20 amp fuse. I don't ever use it, and if I do need to charge my phone I put a switch under the dash to flick it off so I can have more volts.. lol The fuse panel and tapping of headlight circuit. How hard would that be to do on a DI??
Headlight circuit was used to control dimmer function on gauge... sorry for the confusion. I made a quick wiring diagram and will attach it to this post along with a photo of the finished product. I ended up going matte black instead of tan.

Ill try to get some info up on the Saudi Spec Grille project soon. I have a lot of other work to do over the next week or so but I will get to the grille asap.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Gauge Pod-img_2615.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 10-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by twaszak
How "advanced" or "difficult" of a fiberglass project was this?

Do you think this is something a fiberglass beginner or virgin could do?

How much were the materials and job specific tools (brushes?)etc?

Thanks,

Thomas
Hi Thomas,

I have done a fair amount of glass work in the past, but I would say this project is pretty simple. I would practice on something other than my truck at first to get used to how much time you have to work before the resin dries. If you ever did paper mache as a kid, this is basically the same thing but much stronger and more permanent.

After all is said and done, I probably have about $60 tied up in the gauge pod. But I have enough material left over to make more parts (such as the $400+ Saudi Spec Grille I'm about to make). It's definitely not the cheapest way to do it, but I think the clean look of the final product is worth it so that my truck stays stock looking with the features I want.

I used Bondo body filler to coat and smooth the fiberglass after the resin dried. That was key to getting a smooth, clean finish for paint. If you skimp on the sanding/paint prep, the end product will show it. Theres nothing more satisfying than making custom parts that look professional. I would recommend you give it a shot. Good luck!

Last edited by willrok13; 10-09-2011 at 11:31 AM.