Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY tips for Rain X Latitude blades w/ DII arms.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i tried this, and the blade would miss a spot on the direct center of the windshield from the passenger blade, and halfway up on the left side from the drivers blade, as if it wasnt getting enough pressure onto the windshield, but im glad yours worked out for you. my wipers might have had worn springs, who knows, my truck has 90k on it.

i even tried grinding the cast aluminum part of the arm down where the "stop" is, so it could apply more pressure onto the window, but that didnt help.

i got D1 wiper arms from the dealer for 24 a piece, and Oreilys had Bosch icon blades for buy one free. the drivers side is 21A, and passenger is 20B, the 21 on the passenger side is too big, hit the pillar.

just did this, this week, so far im happy, much better

Last edited by RAYMAN975; 03-03-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FANTASTIC!!!!! I am buying those tomorrow. Great Post, get it in the stickies!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 PM
JAC
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my issue wasn't so much not being able to use generic wiper blades, but that my wiper arms failed to create enough pressure against the windshield to wipe it clear...

either way, nice write-up and thanks for sharing.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up, thanks for sharing...can't wait to try it! (most likely this weekend)

Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

That's strange about the pressure issue... I mean there's nothing too special about these blades from a pressure requirement point of view (they might even require less pressure since it's distributed in a uniform manner unlike the crappy oem "sectional" ones. For me the fact that the adapter had the arms sitting ~.5" higher provided great pressure on the 11 year old springs (156k miles) in sleet, freezing rain, and snow.

Glad ya got it sorted out though, I'm sure the D1 arms provide a slight pressure advantage (especially new)

Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience with those newfangled single bar type wiper blades was not so good. I put a set of $$$ Bosch blades on my van and they performed miserably. They wobble and do not clear the rain properly, and after 5 minutes use in a heavy downpour they broke into pieces and left me with no wipers in heavy rain. Expensive POS IMO.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
My experience with those newfangled single bar type wiper blades was not so good. I put a set of $$$ Bosch blades on my van and they performed miserably. They wobble and do not clear the rain properly, and after 5 minutes use in a heavy downpour they broke into pieces and left me with no wipers in heavy rain. Expensive POS IMO.
Weird! I've got them on both my cars and they've been bulletproof. I've had the old style ones "strip" off, exposing the "claws" that grab the refills..scratching windshields to ****.. all kinds of crap with those. The new style has always provided a very confident "clean sweep" first pass. Maybe the Rain X ones are better? Bosch usually makes professional stuff though.

..yeah they're expensive for a piece of plastic/rubber though, not sure I would have done it if advance wasn't buy one get one half off.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come to think of it I had the same hassles on my Z, the plastic blades wobbled and skipped when driving in rain at highway speeds. I don't think the plastic can take the combined pressure from water and wind resistance.
FWIW the single bar wiper on the rear of my van was crap as well, the center part did not make contact with the glass and the rubber stripped off just like the metal ones do.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK...wanting to see how these are performing. I need to grab some wipers tomorrow. Also, what sizes did you purchase?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fail!--JUST BUY D1 arms.

These don't work for me either. I also failed to have enough pressure on the windshield. I have a big smear in the middle of both wipers. The new ones do not fit as deep as the OEM and because there is a limited ability to pivot you will never get that kind of pressure on the windscreen. I had to breakdown and order my D1 arms today because this was a wholly inadequate solution.
If you want the ease of a standard type wiper and that means buying the new arm. If you are happy with Silblades or OEm then keep what you got. I thought the tabs not fitting tight and hanging off made my truck look cheap, but the inability to clear the snow yesterday morning, yeah, we had about 1 inch, was just frustrating enough when you buy 50 bucks in wipers.
This is not meant as an attack on anyone posting, just letting others know that my experience wasn't good and consider what you are doing before you hack up your current wiper arms. (I broke the inner plastic piece on one of my D2 arms, so I was fully commited to the new wiper option, or a new arm.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY tips for Rain X Latitude blades w/ DII arms.