Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I jump on it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I jump on it?

Greetings all
So I recently got discouraged while looking for a Land Rover Discovery. I thought I had it...I was looking at a 1996 SE7 and it was in great shape "visually"...until we got to driving it.
To make a long story short...many "clunks" later...my significant other discovered that the transfer case was messed up, and even though it was supposed to be in 4WD, only the front wheels were getting power. There were other problems, less serious than that...but the whole idea that the 4WD was shot was the deal breaker. Apparently the owner had no idea. She bought it a few years ago and was getting horrible gas mileage and wants to get rid of it. We're assuming she bought it like that.

Anyhoo...I'm going to an actual dealership (NOT LR...it's a Ford dealership that has a used LR).
It's a 2003 Discovery II SE.
It onlyhas 49,667 miles on it...the lot price is $17,735 but the internet price is $12,750. After all the problems I've had shopping for cars (I spent a month looking for a 4Runner...most of which had either been rolled (the B post was shot and not repaired correctly), found in Mexico (?!?!? No title so it couldn't be finances), one owner (who happened to haul enough stuff up mountains every day to warrant trading it in for a $50,000 diesel truck), or off-roaded so much the undercarriage looked like it had been throughWW III. I gave up on 4Runners.

I love the look of Land Rovers. I know they cost a lot to upkeep. My boyfriend used to rebuild cars from the ground up...but because of all my bad luck with car shopping...I'm too afraid to buy now. I really want a car that I can tow our boat with, camp out in, go off roading (without bashing the thing to bits) but know that I'm in a good, reliable car that won't die on me. Should I not be looking at Land Rovers? They are so freakin' awesome. I go see the 2003 today. What questions should I ask that are specific to LRs? What should I be looking for and what should set my alarm bells off?

Help a gal out! I'm lost.
Thank you SOOOO much!

ETA:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...amp;cardist=15

Sorry the pictures didn't show up...My computer keeps showing an error when I try to delete them!

[IMG]local://upfiles/11200/DA15DB6081424881AAD07F517B051394.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11200/475771AAB1334C22B2B50E5455895400.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11200/06E9F05262334A18B198EB1BE7D0E608.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Do I jump on it?

Some of the other guys should be chiming in soon, but certain 03's had an oil pump issue which requires a new motor which LR wouldn't warranty. Do a search and I believe the effected VIN's are listed so you can check the 03 you are going to look at.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Winching

Nice looking DII. In do time it will look like mine

2003 DII epsom green

Name:  DSCN0973.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  184.8 KB

Old 08-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Mudding

THANK YOU!
I found a post in the forums that said: The VIN range is all 2003 Discoverys ending with 3A771801 – 3A808362

The car'sVIN that I'm looking at ends in 3A812478.
Does that mean this one is okay in that regard?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: AnnelieseMae

THANK YOU!
I found a post in the forums that said: The VIN range is all 2003 Discoverys ending with 3A771801 – 3A808362

The car's VIN that I'm looking at ends in 3A812478.
Does that mean this one is okay in that regard?
You could be in great shape with that vin. Still consider looking at an extended warranty.
Jupiter, your truck is looking great.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Winching

Just checked my Vin. 3A786111

So, should I change my fuel pump?

Old 08-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who makes that bumper? It's sick!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Winching

ORIGINAL: rrhyne

Who makes that bumper? It's sick!

Equipe 4x4 from Italy. Glad you like it.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:38 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a great price for an 03, with low milage. Have it looked over before you buy, the oil pump thing is an issue but its proven to be more rare than anything. Yes it has occured on some but if you replace your oil pump (some will say do this others will not) you will be fine. 03's are qulaity trucks, but theey get a understandibly bad rap for the oil pump issues. Just have someone look at it FRIST. I think it looks great (and hopefully runs great) so its a good find!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Mudding

I do believe I'm sold on it. I need to replace the tires for off road, and take the running boards off. But it's only had two owners, the same owner since 2004. It's never been wrecked and never been off road. My boyfriend went under, over, all around it for over an hour last night. Then he took it on one of his (in)famous test drives. If something is wrong, he'll find it. He LOVES it. The previous owner was an elderly real estate agent, hence the mileage is so low.

It's only been on the lot for a month or so. She traded it in for a larger SUV. No one has looked at it until yesterday. It was pulled out waiting for me. I went under it right in the parking lot...the guys at the dealership were laughing because I had to hike up my ankle length skirt and crawled under. They were fantastic to me. No trying to butter me up because I'm a chick (don't get me started on the others!). Well, this other guy was eyeing my Disco! When I was in the dealership crunching numbers...he had another sales agent go with him for a test drive. The next thing I know my guy is getting a call that this other dude wants to buy it on the spot. I almost pitched a fit. I already signed the paperwork to borrow it for the night and drive it home so my live-in mechanic could give it a good once over. LUCKILY...the manager said that I was there first so he couldn't buy it until I made a decision. My sales guy said they normally don't do that because they don't want to start a bidding war and if someone comes to buy it right away and someone else is just "thinking about it" they go for the guaranteed sale. Maybe it's meant to be!
I'm heading down to the bank right now to transfer the down payment.

Another question...I read on the forum I should rebuild the front driveshaft. We can do this ourselves I think. Do you guys recommend it? Also...do you know where I can find a repair manual for it? I googled it and found older ones...but not a 2003.

I'm freakin' excited. Grand Canyon here I come!!!! Cross your fingers for me that the deal works out. He quoted me something yesterday...I'm hoping he sticks with it.
xoxo!!!!
Annie

Quick Reply: Do I jump on it?