Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I jump on it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do I jump on it?

Do you have Windows or Mac? You can download a Rave cd or I can send you one. I can burn them.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Mudding

I have Windows at work, but Mac (WHOO HOO!) at home.

Just to update...It's mine! The guy that wanted it was waiting for me to back out. I told the saleman to tell him a huge HELL NO!

I think I have some time to think about it, but I'm wondering if I should add the extended warranty. I have a certain amount of time to add it. The only thing is, it increases my payment $100 a month...which would really punch me in the wallet. It's $5,000 to add the extended warranty...but as I know how fickle LR can be...I'm beginning to wonder if it's something I should seriously consider and attempt to pay the extra money.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Annie-You are so excited and that is GREAT. But dont let that override your brain.
You MUST use premium gas, LR's have high compression engines.
Yes you MUST rebuild the front driveshaft using greasable u-joints.
If you dont you will be looking at a new transmission, $7,000.
If you go to youtube.com and search for Camel Trophy you will see what these
trks are made of.
Let us know when you get it home.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Mudding

I know about the premium. I actually stopped and filled it up a bit the first time on the way back over the mountain. I had to come straight to work.

How soon should I start thinking about rebuilding the front driveshaft? As in...this weekend? Sooner?

Sorry for all the questions...I really want to learn about this. I don't want to be one that automatically calls a mechanic's shop for every little thing.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Team Owner

DONT BUY THE EXTENDED WARRENTY!! As fickle as these trks can be most repairs can be done yourself for a couple of hundred each.
And if it is going to hurt your budget everymonth then really dont do it. What good is free repairs if you cant afford to drive the trk?
Here is what I would do in the next month.
Flush the cooling system, LR recommends every 45,000 miles or 36 months.
Flush the brake fluid, LR recommends every 24 months regardless of miles.
Rebuild the front driveshaft with greasable u-joints.
Change the fluid in both diff's and the t-case.
I dont remember how many miles that you said were on the trk, but I think I would do the front driveshaft first, since that will break without warning and it will take out your transmission.
It is the double cardon joint that fails, as it is from the factory it is non serviceable "lubed for life", and when it goes it goes big.
Congrates and remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. So ask away, we are here to help.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Mudding

THANK YOU for putting mymind at ease about the warranty. I have confidence that a lot can be fixed without running to a garage of some kind. Hopefully it's not naive optimism

It's got almost 50,000 on it (49,878). I was thinking of going back to the 48,000 mile service and making sure that's all set. I printed out the list you gave me too.

I will most likely be on here a lot. I want to be one that is not dependant on someone else to fix it. I want to learn...to be able to change my own tire, know what I can and cannot do, recognize when something needs to be fixed ASAP or something that can wait until I get to the next gas station. I have always wanted a Land Rover. I am an archaeologist by training and all the guys in my company I used to work in drove Tacomas. I love Toyotas, but a LR would be so rockin out in the field! Our fleet vehicles were always crappy Fords because they were cheap. If I ever go back to Cultural Resources Management (archaeology here in AZ) I'm going to be all set!

I'm so psyched. This is my first car purchase on my own (ex-husband bought a crappy 2003 Saturn...horrible car!). I've already put my "rockhound" sticker on the back. Next up is my University of Michigan sticker I bought when I graduated 5 years ago, waiting to put it on my very first car that I bought myself. It is going to look fantastic above my elephant spare tire cover on the back

It still has not sunk in yet that I have a Land Rover. It has always been a dream of mine, never thought I would actually see the day that one would be sitting in my driveway. My parents finally came around too...my dad drives a Tundra and gripes about V8s...but they know I am in a good car. Cannot wait to take it to the Grand Canyon, Flagtaff, Colorado...and my biggest goal, the Dinosaur Trail in Montana!

Did I mention I am a huge geek?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Rock Crawling

8 months ago I picked up a 03 disco HSE with 51,000 miles im now at 56,000 miles and yes my vin was one of the good ones!
I love my disco!!! Week days I drive all over the city distributing Magazines and weekend's drive down rockey dust roads up and down steep mountains looking for a nother fishing hole I have been from one end of Idaho to the other and never broke a sweet!! I also paid more and dont regret it..

Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Team Owner

Annie, do I know you? I am from Grand Rapids and my wife is from Kingsly, I used to work in TC, that is how I meet my wife.
Its ok to be a geek, you are in the company of many LR geeks. I also wanted a LR ever since I was 10 or so. I used to see them on TV while watching Mutual of Omaha, they would always be on safari in Africa.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

How's this or geekdom. I had a pair of Camel Trophy boots when I was 17. I kept the box for so long just because of the picture on the box top.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Mudding

Where did you work in TC? I grew up there...graduated high school and then went to U of M (GO BLUE!) before moving out here for graduate school to get edumicated

My parents are still there...my ex-in-laws are there as well (ex-hubby grew up there as well).
My "married family" is huge...the Kellys...they're everywhere in TC! I kept my married name.
Has a better ring to it...haha.

Nice to find fellow geeks
I'm so psyched that I finally can plan to do Montana's Dinosaur Trail...you go all over Montana visiting different dinosaur museums/sites...etc.
Hold on...let me put on my nerd glasses and pocket protector...
My biggest geek move in recent past is spending $120 on tickets to see Walking with Dinosaurs Live in Phoenix...coming up next month. I'm going to go hang out with a bunch of little kids, but it's going to be a rockin' good time...search for it on youtube and google it on the web.
Did I mention I'm 28???

Quick Reply: Do I jump on it?