Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need new spring coils?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 11:01 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Do I need new spring coils?

I just put in a new set of toyo open country at/3 tires. 245/75/16

Im really happy with the look and size - I’ll be driving mostly highway with a few trails.

I bought a new set of ome hd shocks but haven’t decided on the coil springs yet.

Will installing these shocks on my current springs lead to an early failure of the shocks?

I don’t need the extra room for tires, so the only other reason for bigger springs is articulation?

attached is a picture of how my d2 sits - doesn’t look like especially bad drooping off original springs.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:53 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Yes, New shocks on worn out springs will prematurely wear out your new shocks. I've done it before, got about 10k miles out of those shocks.

You can get new stock height spring in normal duty, MD, and HD but keep in mind the rating of the springs is about the load/weight added to your truck, nothing to do with durability etc. Don't go HD unless you add 800 or so pounds to your vehicle.

If you haven't already you might also want to add a new steering damper... makes a big improvement as the old one wears slowly you don't notice how bad it really is until you get a new one.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Yes, New shocks on worn out springs will prematurely wear out your new shocks. I've done it before, got about 10k miles out of those shocks.

You can get new stock height spring in normal duty, MD, and HD but keep in mind the rating of the springs is about the load/weight added to your truck, nothing to do with durability etc. Don't go HD unless you add 800 or so pounds to your vehicle.

If you haven't already you might also want to add a new steering damper... makes a big improvement as the old one wears slowly you don't notice how bad it really is until you get a new one.
Thanks for clearing that up. Will do it all together then.

Old 12-13-2020, 05:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
You can get new stock height spring in normal duty, MD, and HD
Where do I get those?

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (12-14-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 03:14 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm still on the fence about believing that sagging springs will accelerate shock wear. The spring rate will remain the same, just a little less travel until it hits the bump stops. I don't see how that would increase shock wear. I replace my shocks with OME's a few years back and never changed my front springs (SLS) on the rear. My front height was within 1/2" of new.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Face it, these Dll's are getting up there in age...so coil spring replacement is necessary (unless it's seen absolutely smooth roads). And yes, worn/weak coil springs will lead to early failure of your shocks. The shock controls the rebound and compression of the coil spring, and the more it has to do that, the more it wears. New coils will resist excessive travel, whereas, old springs will bottom out and then go full length upward travel afterwards...and the poor shock is trying to control/smoothen this whole event out...so the driver can continue to eat steak.

l've replaced coils on our 03, standard height, and it was like night and day difference. 04 is next on the list. Did a lift in the 01, but it's springs were toast and new springs made it ride will a magic carpet in comparison.

Another factor that the coil springs control is...body roll. Sway bars help control this event during a turn...but your coils do most of the really heavy lifting.