Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have a warranty

Hey I just got my first 03 disco with 51,000 miles and I wish I had a warranty, do you guysknow of anythat you could recommend?

Old 02-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Do you have a warranty

At 51K, you can no longer get a Rover warranty and there are really no other companies out there worth spending the money on, just go set aside a few thousand dollars ina CD account and if you are lucky, you won't have to use it.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Why do you wish you had a warrenty? Whats wrong with it?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Nothing wrong with it that I know I did buy it used! I guess the reason y is I have allways had a warranty, If it braks no big deal they will fixit and I am talking about the big stuff I like to fix the small.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

I will tell you that non manufacture warrenties do not cover crap. They will charge you $3500 and then tell you that it isint covered because of something that you did or did not do.
On another forum that I subscribe to a guy with a '03 had a really bad knock on the highway, his warrenty would not cover it unless he blew the engine, but because he had taken it to the dealer to get looked at when it started to act up the warrenty company said that if he drove it with a known issue and the engine failed because he kept driving he was SOL.
He had to agree to pay for the teardown of the engine if they could not find anything wrong, if they did then they would cover it.
The dealer "found" the problem and the warrenty company had to buy him a new engine. He was without his trk for over two weeks while he fought on the phone with the warrenty company and his trk sat at the dealer.
Bottom line is do not waste your money on a extended warrenty. Take the money and open a money market account, if you cannot afford the full price upfront then make payments to your money market account and then draw off of it for big repairs if any come up.
And if nothing comes up then roll that money into your IRA.
Have your dealer run a VIN # check and see if yours is one of the ones with known oil pump problems, there maybe a TSB on it and if your lucky they will fix it for free.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Team Owner

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/r...artner=edmunds

Yes there is a Technical Service Bullitin on your year for oil pump problems.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

My warranty is my tools,20 years of maintenance and repair and a service manual (or sites like this). No waiting, mechanic hassles, finger pointing and have confidence to know the job is done right.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks all and spike555 I will call monday first thing!! I guess $3,000 for a warranty is a wast get a rebuilt for that![&:]

Old 02-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mark G

My warranty is my tools,20 years of maintenance and repair and a service manual (or sites like this). No waiting, mechanic hassles, finger pointing and have confidence to know the job is done right.
Amen to that.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Good find on the TSBs for 03.... So does that mean that if your oil pump goes out, LR will fix it becuase it is a "known problem" (a pretty serious one at that)?

Quick Reply: Do you have a warranty