Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing the Disco-2-step

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 07:09 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Doing the Disco-2-step

I've read a lot about the annoying brake pedal issue, but I don't completely understand it.

1st pump, soft/low pedal
quick 1st pump and fast 2nd back on the brake pedal things feel "normal"

I'm close to doing some brake work so I thought I'd see if I can get rid of this too. I've read several people that do a brake job, and replace the hoses but it doesn't fix the issue. And when we're talking about replacing hoses/lines for this issue, we're just talking about the rubber hose at each wheel, right?

So what else can it be and how do figure out what exactly is causing it?

When the pedal is soft/low.....is just a low pedal or are the brakes not evenly applying brake pressure?

Also, does anyone know what the specs are for whether or not Disco rotors can be turned/machined?

Thanks

Old 03-18-2016, 07:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

I'd just replace the brake fluid and make sure everything is bled well. There's probably a little air in your lines and your fluid is probably starting to gather moisture if its old.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:29 PM
Mudding

When I 1st bought this one, I gravity bled the entire system and then did a "normal bleed" after I had fresh fluid in the entire system...didn't make any difference.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:33 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by stb616
When I 1st bought this one, I gravity bled the entire system and then did a "normal bleed" after I had fresh fluid in the entire system...didn't make any difference.
A while back I broke the brake booster valve while doing plug wires. It's the plastic valve with the red circle atop the air intake. Has a vacuum hose going to the booster. Tried Mickey Mouse patches then finally spent the $35 to replace it. No more 2 step for my 2002 DII. I also did option B with the 3 amigos so I can't be sure. I just know my brakes are a lot better these days.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LZN100220LG

Last edited by jamieb; 03-19-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:38 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jamieb
A while back I broke the brake booster valve while doing plug wires. It's the plastic valve with the red circle atop the air intake. Has a vacuum hose going to the booster. Tried Mickey Mouse patches then finally spent the $35 to replace it. No more 2 step for my 2002 DII. I also did option B with the 3 amigos so I can't be sure. I just know my brakes are a lot better these days.
Land Rover Intake Manifold Brake Servo Vacuum - Discovery II

Worth looking into. Thanks

Old 03-19-2016, 12:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

You may have air in the ABS system. Only way to properly bleed that is w software to cycle the ABS circuits individually. You'd need to buy the unit/software to do that. Several different options there. Or pay an indy shop to do it

Old 03-19-2016, 12:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

People say that about the ABS system, but its not actually true. I replaced my master cylinder and ABS module a couple months ago. I did all of the bleeding the old fashioned way and I've got no issues. The trick is to bleed starting at the master cylinder, then right before the ABS unit, then right after the ABS unit, then bleed at each wheel starting with the closest to the master cylinder and working your way back to the farthest, so front drivers, front passengers, rear drivers, rear passengers. It will take longer, but will work just fine.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

The 2 step is often related to caliper issues, such as sticking pistons and slider pins.

I replaced 3 out of 4 of my calipers, and my 2 step all but disappeared.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Or the master cylinder itself is failing internally and not holding pressure when you apply the brake pedal.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:57 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Or the master cylinder itself is failing internally and not holding pressure when you apply the brake pedal.

Is there any way to test the master cylinder for sure?

As far as the calipers go: I've thought about (carefully) getting all 4 wheels off the ground and applying the brake pedal once to see if there's a caliper or 2 that aren't engaged on the 1st push.

Quick Reply: Doing the Disco-2-step