Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

doing head gaskets...what else should i replace while all apart?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default doing head gaskets...what else should i replace while all apart?

00 disco.

going to have head gaskets done, and i plan on getting the bolt kit too (why not?) what else should i replace while everythings off? i cant think of anything other then thermostat and maybe spark plug wires since theyll have easy access to the coils...

Old 05-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default it's up to you..

bolt kit? or did you mean ARP Stud Kit? hoses, all upper gaskets...just get the AB head gasket kit...it has everything..even fuel rail gaskets...the stuff you can do is endless.... remember..no matter how much someone took great care of there LR at 100k they start falling to sh$t like a 55 year old man.....you are on borrowed time... plan on rebuilding everything from the heads upo and pray the bottom end will hold...cant ask for much more... How long do you want to hold on to the truck?

Chris

Last edited by vandev; 05-12-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can have your radiator professional cleaned and replace your water pump if it hasn't been done.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Winching

You have to do the bolts, that is not an option. I would do the water pump too while you are there. Depending on the miles maybe a timing chain.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default oh yea..

x2 on buick215 and photocrimes.....crap...i guess i should look at my daughters as i have it tore all the way down....crap...there goes my friday... thanks photocrimes...

chris

Old 05-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its my rain and january-feb ride really, and even my daily driver car i had i only do about 5000 miles a year... so itll see half or a quarter of that im guessing, im on the motorcycle aslong as theres no fresh snow or rain most days unless i get lazy

waterpump i think ill hold off on till she starts goin lol, no real benefit to the install while the heads are off, they dont need to come off to do the waterpump anyway no? haha. timing chain... hmmmmmm..........

Old 05-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
its my rain and january-feb ride really, and even my daily driver car i had i only do about 5000 miles a year... so itll see half or a quarter of that im guessing, im on the motorcycle aslong as theres no fresh snow or rain most days unless i get lazy

waterpump i think ill hold off on till she starts goin lol, no real benefit to the install while the heads are off, they dont need to come off to do the waterpump anyway no? haha. timing chain... hmmmmmm..........
If you enjoy working on more than driving ..then do the water pump later.. What he is telling you is why spend all the money and time on headgaskets and have a $100.00 part toast your engine after all that work...

Old 05-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Winching

For the water pump - replace the thermostat, the hoses to the thermastat, and the serp belt. You have to take them all off from what I saw on the Rave, so you might as well replace them all if your going to do it right.

Also the wires do not easily plug into the coil pack from what I learned tonight....at least not with the manifold on...not unless you have hobbit sized hands..lol

Be sure to order 8mm wires also.

Last edited by sloan74; 05-12-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by vandev
If you enjoy working on more than driving ..then do the water pump later.. What he is telling you is why spend all the money and time on headgaskets and have a $100.00 part toast your engine after all that work...
Head gaskets are probably the most labor intensive thing you will do on that motor. Water pumps are relatively cheap and easy to replace while you have the motor tore down, maybe 20 minutes tops. They last about 100k before the seal starts leaking, maybe more if you are lucky. Less if the coolant has never been changed. The gasket is also known to spring a leak, as with the timing cover. Lose coolant on one of these and by the time you see you are in the red your motor may be cooked.

It's just cheap insurance. Oil changes will keep the bottom end fresh and your crank, rod, cams, etc... can actually last a really LONG time just by changing the oil on a regular basis. These other things will deteriorate over time. You have the heads done and replace these little things you will have an engine that is fresh and reliable. Just imagine how pissed you'll be when you spend all that time and money on the heads and then the cooling system lays you out a month later. I've been there man. I skimped on my first job and didn't do the timing cover even though I really thought about doing it. Well guess what started leaking after removing and reinstalling all the crap on the front of the motor. I had a 100k motor, should of known better :-(

Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crank shaft position sensor. It is easier to replace with the heads off and they like to fail. Coolant hoses too (pretty much only time you can replace the throttle body hose).

Quick Reply: doing head gaskets...what else should i replace while all apart?