Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doomsday prepping! Roof rack box !

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doomsday prepping! Roof rack box !

Looking for some kind of heavy duty steel box to store water and food and recovery gear. I travel for work you never know where this land rover might leave me stranded. Looking for ideas on what kind of food I can store up there in the heat and anything else that's good to have in my rover for long trips. I mean sometimes I drive this thing for literally a few days without stopping except for gas and food. I've been on the side of the road quite a few times with it just not out in the middle of nowhere yet. I plan on getting tent so looking for something for the front portion of my roof rack

Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How big is the rack? Have you considered MRE's? Its a complete meal, most even have a cookie and milk. Not saying its the best but if its good enough for the guys fighting for this country It will get me by...

Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Top 10 Things Needed

For those who are not sure of what is needed to stockpile and prepare for doomsday, you can find a list below with the top ten items that preppers will look for and stockpile. One thing I would like to say is that you really don't need purification tablets as you can boil water to get the same effects if not better. Most purification tablets take 30 minutes to make water safe and most store purchased ones only protect against certains things. Boiling water will kill 99% of the bacteria in the water you will be drinking. Also as food is important you can go weeks without eating, but you can't go to long with out water.

1. Water- 1 Gallon per person in your group per day
2. Food
3. Bleach- 1 Drop in a gallon of drinking water will purify it and this can be done before or after you boil it.
4. Ham Radio- if the power goes or communication is lost, this radio will allow you to stay in contact with other survivors.
5. Precious Metals
6. Knife- A good hunting knife that has a saw on one side
7. Backpack- A good solid one that will distribute the weight evenly in case you need to leave your residence or hunt for food.
8. Maps of your neighborhood marking all the key locations and exits and points that could be safe.
9. Flashlights and batteries
10. Guns and Ammo

All this **** is useless. If you dont know what its for or how to use it.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My two suggestions would be a pickup truck tool box, or a few ammo cans. You can get tool boxes cheap off of craigslist, and ammo cans are a dime a dozen from Ebay and Cheaper than Dirt. .50 and 7.62 cans are pretty wide and shallower than 5.56 NATO cans, and might offer a little more "aerodynamic-ness" than the 5.56 cans. Plus, they have airtight lockable lids and handles than can secure them down.

As for food, GI MREs are the way to go. You can get them off Ebay for about $90 a crate shipped. Each crate has 12 meals. Civilian MREs don't have the caloric content of the GI ones, and in my mind are a waste of money.

Heavy duty garbage bags (or 55gal drum liners) are also a must, along with water and a way to purify it. I agree that iodine water purifiers are not worth the money. You can only drink iodine-purified water for a few days before it makes you sick. Having a way to boil water (canteen and cup or a small mess kit with kettle) is the way to go, along with a Katadyne for back up or for when you are on the go and can't stop to start a fire.

Duct tape, a poly-tarp or nylon tarp (Equinox make great ones), 550 cord, and three sources of starting a fire (magnesium bar, NATO matches and a Bic lighter), are other things you should have, along with a good full tang fixed-blade knife and a whet stone or sharpening system. You can get Ontario knives for short money from US Cavalry.

Be careful with guns and ammo. State laws vary widely, and you might find yourself in trouble carrying those around. If you do opt for this route, I love my new Henry US Survival rifle. Its lightweight and stores inside the stock with ammo, so it complies with most state laws for traveling with a firearm.

If you invest in maps, make sure you get updated ones with UTM coordinates. Most search and rescue teams, along with the military and federal agencies, use UTM now, not long. and lat. You'll need a UTM ruler, and learn how to use it. A good compass is also a must. I recommend Silva or Cammenga.

"All this **** is useless. If you dont know what its for or how to use it."- Absolutely right. Know your gear and how to use it long before you need too. When making your kit, remember the rule of 3: You can live 3 minutes without air, 3 hours in the elements without fire or shelter, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.

Last edited by Eaglerover22; 07-09-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

dont forget the S&W 500

Old 07-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drowssap
dont forget the S&W 500
Unless you are worrying about zombie grizzlies , Colt .45 is better as it will still put down a person be it zombie or a dude hopped up on pcp, plus a .45 round is easier to carry than a .50.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are many survivalist books out there, you could pick one up at a used book store pretty cheap. This book should teach you alot about using nature as your supply for many things, food/ water, making traps, natural medicine, how to tie knots, shelter, ect.... there would be many challenges that would arise in a doomsday situation, a .22 rifle is always a nice accessory to have as ammo is cheap and you could stockpile tons of rounds! This would be effective in small game and then you would want a larger caliber weapon for the real kill but ammo is expensive and you would not want to waist a round you could not replace.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:15 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Best prep also will be to be in shape.
Run
lift weights
Chart your progress.

You are your own best Landrover.

Since the Land Rover Discovery needs gasoline, it may not be a good companion in the long run.

Unless you can drive the Discovery into the mountains and use it to sleep in.

Mind you-
A bear which is powerful can punch into the windows and tear off the doors to get any food it smells in the Disco.

Disco may be good to sleep in.
I have slept on the back seat.
Not very comfortable.
You need to be really tired to get a few hours sleep in it.

Removing the petrol engine and going electric with Solar cells would remove the gasoline limitiation

Discovery weighs so much tho - you would not get far in batteries.