Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door handle lock linkage fix! Save $200+

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door handle lock linkage fix! Save $200+

OK so I just got the disco and the driverside door lock doesn't work from the keyhole and the fob stopped working after the battery died on the rover but worked inside at the switch and it has a new actuator in it.

So I pulled the door panel today to investigate the culprit to no resistance on the keyhole and it not working!
Well when I removed handle there was no linkage or items coming from it and the book showed nothing, after further investigation I noticed a phillips head looking white plastic dial in the door behind the handle and to the right of the window track.
I took a large flat head screw driver and stuck it in it and turned and sure enough that was what activates the actuator for locking and unlocking.
I looked at the handle and the dial in there has a push pin (crush pin) going through a cylinder and the peice had broke off and was still a little behind the pin in the shaft.

I called the dealer the part is whole handle only 15-17 days out and $200+ then retumbling it to for my key (more $).
Nope been doing custom fab and modding for a bit LOL so on short notice, snowing outside and needed to get home but wanted it fixxed I devised a simple but effective fix.

1- use a large flat head screwdriver and cut off so the flathead and shaft is 4" long, the cylinder is 1/4 and the total depth of door sking to dial is 4 1/4 Inches so cut it at or just shy of 4".

2- make sure the diameter of the shaft is small enough to fit in cylinder grind down if necessary, but do the whole shaft so it doesnt rub on window track.
3- approx 1/4 inch from cut end drill a small hole bigger than the size of the pin throgh the shaft but make sure its 90 degrees from the up and down of the screw driver blade.

4- Round end so it can rotate in cylinder a little bit as the otiginal shaft is designed this way as well for motion.

5- put it in cylinder and push pin through and reassemble the door the same way it was disassembled and there you go a replacement shaft for the handle lock to dial on actuator.

I have no idea how or why this busted it was broke when I got it and there were no peices in door to copy so I made what looked like it would work and it does perfectly.

Last edited by bullcrew; 12-31-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:37 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

thats all and good but if the lock cylinder gets stuck then you are screwed when the door is locked and armed then what? Also most people use the remote so much they forget about the lock and that is why it sticks.
Actually instead of waiting for a new lock from LR. You can order a lock and ignition key set together without matching the key code. Saves lots of time and when you ignition switch starts to stick then by having both you are saved. Plus no worrying about starter staying engaged or loosing alot of functions cause it stays on or gets stuck.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats the reason I have another thread for help as to the alarm and key fob also this is the reason I fixxed it, I couldnt even lock it at all with no remote.
I want the remote fixxed but till then Id like to be able to lock the doors as well.
Why not do like alot of people do and OIL the lock cylinder!!!! Then it wont seize or get stuck, just a thought I found some pretty remarkable stuff called WD-40 and it works on parts like that! even moly dry lube with teflon works wonders. LOL Theres alot of overlooked stuff people do, and when a vehicle needs a little extra care thats all the reason it should be done.

Id prefer to do this it was faster the lock was fine and no matching anything just replacing the rod with a little different shaped unit! So how is ordering the set better because the rod is a little different looking LOL. Im OK with this as it works and till my remote is fixed which I beleive i stated in the original post I can lock my stuff up!!!

Thanks