Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door keyhole broke and alarm won't disable

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:48 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default door keyhole broke and alarm won't disable

I can't get my alarm disabled so I can't start my vehicle. I had two locksmiths come out to try to open my door and neither could do so. I found a window and purchased it for $40 (had to get into my door anyway for both the window regulator and to fix the keyhole so figured why not break the window). Now the alarm won't turn off and the key will turn in the ignition but not start the vehicle due to the alarm being on. Is there any way to disable the alarm. I've tried disconnecting the battery overnight to reset it, I've taken out every fuse in the box. Nothing seems to be able to turn off the alarm. Nearest dealer is several towns over and I was quoted $400 to tow it there so I'd rather not have to

Old 12-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in a similar situation. My key fob randomly quit working and when I went to put the key in the door it wouldn't turn. I got into it with a slim jim but couldn't get the alarm off so I just unhooked the battery. Right now I am trying to fix the door key hole but only got as far as taking the panel off and unscrewing the torx screw. I can't figure out how to get the rod unhooked and haven't had much time to mess with it.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Drifting
Default This same thing happened to me...

This is not a permanent fix!!!! It was a parking lot surgery...
This is how I got my alarm to turn off and get home that night... Another guy had the same problem I had. This is what I wrote to the guy on the other post. Any questions, feel free to ask.

I know exactly what your problem is. Same thing happened to me a month ago in the parking lot of my work at 11pm. The pin behind your door key has broken. This pin is connected to the back side of the key hole and goes into a little box inside the door that turns the alarm off and also unlocks the doors. You need to get the door handle off. Its one torx bit in the door jam on the drivers (I believe its the larger one) if you don't have a torx bit find an allen or a flathead screw driver that will fit. (I used a flathead) also remove the door panel. (only a Phillips screwdriver and a good tug is needed to do that). to get the handle all the way off you have to disconnect the cable to the handle. Its held in by a little tab that has a little arm to flip up to get the cable out ( that was the hard one for me to get). Once the cable is out pull the door handle out ( the broken pin will fall down into the door, but get that later. look through the door handle hole, and you'll see the box. there is a little hole where that pin used to go. Stick your screwdriver in the hole and use it like the door key. Put all those fuses back in too so everything works too. Don't lock your door till you get another pin. they have them on ebay, or google it to find a steal one that wont break again. hope this helps

Last edited by DiscoBeau; 12-21-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:32 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

is there a way to permanently disable the alarm? My car wouldn't start the other day and alarm blinking light was on in the dash. I had the presence of mind of hit the "unlock" button again on the keyfob even though the car was fully unlocked and then the alarm light went off and I could turn on the engine.

This seems like more trouble than it is worth.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DiscoBeau
to get the handle all the way off you have to disconnect the cable to the handle. Its held in by a little tab that has a little arm to flip up to get the cable out ( that was the hard one for me to get).
This is where I am having problems. Does anyone have any tips or pictures?