Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door lock actuator

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default door lock actuator

Ok, my drivers door lock actuator was acting up, you would hit the lock button on the remote and all doors would lock except the drivers door.
If you used the key it was hard to turn but would lock.
So today I popped the door panel off and cut a slit in the plastic liner to expose the actuator.
Peeled back the rubber boot, sprayed my favorite penatrant/lube and locked the door a couple of times, taped up the plastic liner and put the panel back on, works like new.
How long will it last? I do not know, but hey, if it lasts six months its worth it.
Total time, under 30 min.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: door lock actuator

Ive got a similar issue with my back door, when you press the unlock button on the key fob it goes up and back down again, if you use the key to unlock it the door still will not open. Gonna jump the seats and try to fix it through the subwoofer hole sometime this week, Ill post up what I find to be the issue.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thanks for the tip Spike, I'll try it sometime this week. My driver's door just started doing this this week. And it went without warning. It use to open and close on the first push of the button. Then last week-end it just decided to stop working period. You can hear the actuator knocking,clunking,tocking or however you wanna describe the noise.....when pushing the button, but the **** won't move.

The more I write ...the more this gets me thinking...not sure what you drive, but will this work on a D2 ??? and I remember reading about a little spring that is known to let go on actuators ???

Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Team Owner

Mine is a DI so I do not know if this will work on a DII. Once you get the door panel off it is pretty simple and no need to remove anything, just cut the plastic so that you can peel back the rubber boot.
If you go to a NAPA and get a "body spoon" it makes it real easy to remove the door panel. It is a wide curved puddy knife kind of thing designed for just such a purpose.
A little lube never hurt, right?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: N.Franklin

Ive got a similar issue with my back door, when you press the unlock button on the key fob it goes up and back down again, if you use the key to unlock it the door still will not open. Gonna jump the seats and try to fix it through the subwoofer hole sometime this week, Ill post up what I find to be the issue.
I have heard of this happening before and do not know how to fix it. Did you pop the emblem off the back door and spray the latch really good? That needs to be done every couple of months, more so here in the north with snow and road salt.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have a door panel remover if that's what your talking about. I'll look into it this week and let you know how it went.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Team Owner

Yeah I dont know the name of the tool, its my dads and he used to work at a body shop like 400 years ago. He calls it a body spoon, but who knows.
Keep me posted on how it turns out.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

ORIGINAL: N.Franklin

I have heard of this happening before and do not know how to fix it. Did you pop the emblem off the back door and spray the latch really good? That needs to be done every couple of months, more so here in the north with snow and road salt.
Havent tried that yet, but will try it before doing surgery. Seems like these trucks are bi-polar, one month they run smooth as butter, the next month they spend your paycheck for you. Hopefully this is an easy fix and I dont have to buy anything.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

[:@]didn't work[:@]I even took it out, opened it up and sprayed it with lube, then triedwhite lithium grease. Nothing worked. So I'll be getting another one soon. At least it's the driver's door and I can still use the key.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Team Owner

It was worth a shot. If it had worked it would have saved you some money, but hey, what ya gonna do?

Quick Reply: door lock actuator