Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Lock/ignition problem??? '99 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 06:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Lock/ignition problem??? '99 Disco II

Hello everyone-

I'm new to the forum but thought I'd get some advice on a current problem I've been having. I"m the second owner of 1999 Discovery II. When I originally purchased the vehible the OEM key fob had been lost so was not included. The key I had worked since I bought it for about a year. I just had to open it with the key itself, on the drivers side door lock (the only door having one on the Disco II). Anyways, one morning I could not get in my vehicle with the key that I had been using for the past year. The key fit in nicely but would not turn either way. After trying day after day, hoping that it would fall into the right spot and unlock the door, I decided it would be best to call Land Rover. They gave me their usual, "well, we can't really say what's wrong with it unless you bring it to the shop" answer. So, i had it towed there and after two weeks of having it in their possession they were able to get into the vehicle. The problem now is that they could not start the vehicle, the ignition is locked, and won't turn over at all. The first step they did was get a new key made in case the one that I got with the vehicle was worn down and not fitting perfectly in the lock or ignition. This did not solve the problem and they suggested that maybe the first owner had changed the locks or ignition so the code under the national registry they have is not valid. They called today and said their next step is to replace the whole lock/ignition kit at a cost of $1245...

Needless to say, that will be a huge financial hit, but the main thing bothering me is how the key would have worked for 1 year straight and all of a sudden does not work in the lock or ignition. I have read about a lot of electrical problems concerning the alarm that have had giving similar symptoms. If anyone can give me some advice on what else to suggest to the dealer or if you've had a similar problem, that would be great. I have very little faith in the LR dealer here because of shotty work they've done for me the last couple times I've taken it there so I'd appreciate any response.

Thanks-

Old 11-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Door Lock/ignition problem??? '99 Disco II

Why don't you PM me with your tele # and I'll call you and see if we can get past your problem.
Mike

Old 11-17-2006, 06:39 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Door Lock/ignition problem??? '99 Disco II

Thanks Mike, I sent it.