Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door locking issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:50 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door locking issues

I have the most ridiculous problem and i could not find any similar situations anywhere.

I just bought my 2001 Land Rover Disco II SE on the 8th and the seller told me that he had lost the remote and bought a new one, but hadn't linked it to the BCU.

The car responds to the remote in a very peculiar manner: Only the rear door will lock and unlock when i press the remote lock & unlock buttons once. However, if i press the lock button on the remote 2 or 3 times, every door on the car will lock without fail. No matter how many times i press the unlock button, nothing on the car will unlock but the back door. The doors stay locked, and if i accidentally lock the whole car, then i have to crawl in through the back door to unlock the passenger doors..

The lock/unlock switch on the inside of the car will only lock and unlock the back door with one try. No matter how many times i press it, it wont lock or unlock any of the passenger doors.

Inserting the key into the driver door does absolutely nothing. It wont even unlock the driver door..

WHAT IS GOING ON!!?!?!?? how do i fix this?? and how would the remote interact with the car at all in the first place if the previous owner said he hadn't linked it to the BCU??

This problem does not seem to be limited to the remote since the interior lock/unlock switch is acting up as well..
I don't think the problem is with the door lock actuators, they lock perfectly if i press the remote lock button 2 or 3 times.

HELP!!

Old 10-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think you are right in this is not a remote issues but a door lock actuater issue. there are a few good guys on here and discoweb that can sell you the 2nd hand parts a fraction of the cost of new ones. Before you go that root just check all your earths are good a bad one could reduce current to the actuator... just a thought.
Dave

Old 10-21-2010, 06:19 PM
4th Gear

Dave,

By "earths", do you mean grounds? harnesses?

and in my original post, i said i do Not think that it's an actuator issue because the doors lock after pressing the fob button twice. they all lock at the same time without fail. the problem is unlocking with the fob or the switch inside the car.

Evan

Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What has happened is you have superlocked your vehicle. And the only way to unlock it is with the remote. It is designed this way so that even if someone were to break your windows and climb in they could not unlock your doors from the inside. The weird part is that the rear door is not doing it as though it may have a problem with its mechanism. Stupid question? Have you replaced the battery in the remote? If so this vehicle may have to be pushed, pulled or carried to a dealer. Discomike is probably the guy you want to talk to on this one.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Evan, yes i mean the grounds, there are a number of points the chassis is grounded to the body and from what i have read over the years if these become corroded then you can get all kind of odd electrical issues.

I'm not sure i agree with the super-locking suggestion ,but could be off base. If that was the case then you would not be able to open the doors from the inside they become disabled and as i understand it the button the dash to open the doors also becomes disabled. why pressing the remote button once would only unlock the back door seems pretty odd. i though it would unlock just the drivers door from a single press regardless if super-locked or not.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:21 AM
4th Gear

Is it possible that the super-locking actuators are different from the regular lock/unlock actuators and that i just have bad actuators on all the doors? because when all the doors do lock on the second press of the fob button, the vehicle seems to be what seaosrover descibed as "superlocked". but it wont unlock. and with one press of the fob, the back door locks and the alarm is activated, but the doors dont lock.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Drifting

Hi I know this post is a little old but i just got a 03 Disco II and i am having a similar problem. Did you ever find out what was wrong or fix it?