Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door not opening from outside-how do I adjust the length of the handle to lock rod

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:13 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Door not opening from outside-how do I adjust the length of the handle to lock rod

I want to try lengthening the length of the rod between my door handle and lock assembly. It is threaded into white nylon/plastic at the bottom,......I have tried just turning the rod in the plastic,.....but it did not want to turn,....and I am afraid that if I put too much force on it,.....it will break off the small tabs that hold it in the metal slide on the lock assembly. I appears that the white nylon/plastic piece has to be rotated 90 degrees to be released from the metal slide,....but it cant rotate as long as the link rod is threaded into it.

Any suggestions??

Brian in Austin

Old 10-27-2016, 09:52 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Disregard if you have already done this but, You need to unhook it from the door handle before turning it.

the 90 degree bend at the top goes into a hole on the handle which has a rotating clip/lock. You unclip the lock and pull the end of the rod out, now you can turn it.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by abran
Disregard if you have already done this but, You need to unhook it from the door handle before turning it.

the 90 degree bend at the top goes into a hole on the handle which has a rotating clip/lock. You unclip the lock and pull the end of the rod out, now you can turn it.
Abran, its already released, The door handle is completely out of the door (has been for over a week) and when I try to turn it,....it is not wanting to turn in the lower plastic,....its very tight,....and I am afraid that if I turn it too aggressively I might break of the small tabs holding the bottom plastic piece on to the lock/actuator assembly

Brian,

Old 10-27-2016, 10:34 AM
Baja

I've never broken one and have adjusted a handful.

it might be hung up at the top on something. You have to manuever it slightly. It's pretty strong, I wouldn't worry too much about breaking it.

other option is to remove the actuator to adjust.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:39 AM
Winching

it might be hung up at the top on something. You have to manuever it slightly. It's pretty strong, I wouldn't worry too much about breaking it.

doesn't that require removing the window frame assembly?

Old 10-27-2016, 11:23 AM
Winching

I grabbed it at the top and torqued on it pretty hard,.....its definitely not moving,...in either direction and definitely not hanging up on anything (its a straight(ish) rod below the 90 bend at the top,...which is what I have my hand on).

Old 10-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Winching

Abran, I removed the tape covering where my door handle would normally be (to keep rain out) and was able to grab the rod with vice grips from outside the door,....and rotate it about a 1/4 turn at a time. after about 5 or 6 complete revolutions, with reinstalling the door handle after each set of two rotations,....I was then able to open the door from outside. Got that fixed, Thanks for your help and direction on that.

NEW PROBLEM,.... I still cant manually unlock the truck with the keyin the driver's door key slot. It locks and unlocks normally with the key's remote function.....but not manually with the key in the driver's door key slot.,.....The star end shaft that engages the white plastic cross in the door is in good shape,..and the white plastic cross appears to be good.

Any suggestions on that??

Brian

Last edited by bcolins; 10-27-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Baja

Can you insert a large #4 phillips into the white cross of the actuate and turn it? Sounds like its just stuck. Maybe try some lube.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not understanding this. That piece of plastic is a clip that you can undo and reattach higher/lower to adjust how much you have to pull the door handle to open it. I've never heard of actually screwing it in. Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:47 PM
Baja

I guess you are missing that the rod is threaded and the white plastic clip has threads and the way to adjust is by turning the rod, not by unclipping and re clipping in a different position. The White clip actually slides in the metal receiver and is not stationary, so moving it in the assembly is not a viable option for adjustment... Unless I am missing something.

Quick Reply: Door not opening from outside-how do I adjust the length of the handle to lock rod