Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag link ends misaligned. Easy fix or is this because of a bigger problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:03 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Drag link ends misaligned. Easy fix or is this because of a bigger problem?

This is my first time dealing with steering issues on any vehicle (besides replacing a damper) so I figured I would ask for opinions before I dive in.

Name:  qhlGoiu.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  891.1 KB
Name:  53TUwww.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  934.3 KB

I got under the LR yesterday because I've noticed a slight shake or wobble when driving at any spend. It's pretty consistent so I'm thinking a rotor needs to be replaced but I figured I'd look around a bit more before spending the money.

All of my ball joints need to be replaced asap but I don't believe that is the issue but while I was under there yesterday I noticed this end of the drag link is way off compared to the other end. Is this an indication that the ball joint is failing or can I just rotate it a few degrees and be on my way?

And could anything besides a failed ball joint/drag link end cause this misalignment?

Old 05-02-2016, 02:10 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Both the track control and drag link ball ends should face in the same direction, i.e. the tops shold be in the same plane and if not the pich clamp needs to be undone and the ***** joints aligned the same.

If there is sloppy movement in any ball end they are usually finished. It's easiest if jacked up onto axle stands on a flat floor and someone else moves the wheel back and forth or turns the steering back and forth by about 2" whilst you put you hand on the ball joints. If there is any slack movement they are toast. Usually one ball end is permanently fixed in the rod and the other end is replaceable. You can buy aftermarket links and rods where both ends which are replaceable.

The following users liked this post:
meat (05-05-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are just clamps. You can loosen them and rotate them if it bugs you. In between the clamps is an adjuster you can turn with a large wrench which lengthens or shortens the steering rod. I did this recently to center my steering wheel.

The following users liked this post:
meat (05-05-2016)