Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive shaft about to fail

Old 01-08-2017, 10:28 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Drive shaft about to fail

Caught in time

Attached Files
Old 01-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

You're absolutely right - no problems and good catch - did you order the parts? I had a friend replace mine. Bought the part off of ebay and he installed it. Do you have a notch in the yoke? Mine looked like a rat gnawed it down to nothing - in fact I think it was so odd and 'special' he kept it for show and tell. There's a collector for something everywhere (big toothy grin).

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 01-08-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Caught in time
You are right, the U/J's are shot, the whole cardan looks a bit rusty and scuzzy though. The spacer appears not to be standard kit as also the 12 point bolts. I can't quite figure the purpose of the spacer though.

Hopefully the cardan casting and flange is OK and all you will need is 3# U/J's and a centering ball assy plus a day to rebuilt the driveshaft.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Mine is getting bad and I'm debating where to order one from. A lucky 8 Tom woods, Great Basin rovers, or a British parts of Utah. What do y'all think

Old 01-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hopefully the cardan casting and flange is OK and all you will need is 3# U/J's and a centering ball assy plus a day to rebuilt the driveshaft.
hopefully.. I wasn't that lucky but then again I wasn't looking for it like some people on here are. I hate to admit that I was (am?) one of THOSE people.. Late for everything, including my own wedding.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
.................................Late for everything, including my own wedding.
That's a real hoot eh.

As they say KD, 'better late than never' eh

Old 01-08-2017, 01:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

You are right, the U/J's are shot, the whole cardan looks a bit rusty and scuzzy though. The spacer appears not to be standard kit as also the 12 point bolts. I can't quite figure the purpose of the spacer though.

Isn't the driveshaft spacer used on lifted vehicles? It could be a driveshaft model marketed for 2"+ suspension lift.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:07 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
You're absolutely right - no problems and good catch - did you order the parts? I had a friend replace mine. Bought the part off of ebay and he installed it. Do you have a notch in the yoke? Mine looked like a rat gnawed it down to nothing - in fact I think it was so odd and 'special' he kept it for show and tell. There's a collector for something everywhere (big toothy grin).
Thanks. I got an old replacement came from my other disco when i decided to upgrade to heavy duty shafts. I am sure its still fine to use because it never had any issues yet. I just pushed my luck this time. The first time it happened to me was in an intersection. I just heard something dropped, i went out to see and i saw the shaft broke in half from the shaft. Im trying to unstall it now but i can only go out wvery 10 mins at a time. Its 21 degrees out. Niw i had to go to sears and get a vice grip. One of the head is got stripped and cant get it out from the spacer.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That's a real hoot eh.

As they say KD, 'better late than never' eh
Sorry for the hijack, LR03NJ, but in my defense, Offroad, I miscalculated the time it would take for these buses to get to the Castle:

slow, backfiring, vintage beauty queen

and her famous brother

Old 01-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Thanks. I got an old replacement came from my other disco when i decided to upgrade to heavy duty shafts. I am sure its still fine to use because it never had any issues yet. I just pushed my luck this time. The first time it happened to me was in an intersection. I just heard something dropped, i went out to see and i saw the shaft broke in half from the shaft. Im trying to unstall it now but i can only go out wvery 10 mins at a time. Its 21 degrees out. Niw i had to go to sears and get a vice grip. One of the head is got stripped and cant get it out from the spacer.
Always something isn't it? If it's not the cold, it's the tool, if it's not the tool it's time.. I'm glad you have a handle on it. Sounds like your Rover is in good hands.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drive shaft about to fail