Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Side Door Sill Rusted Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver Side Door Sill Rusted Out

I have done the best I can searching all forums and threads to find a "best" solution my current rust problem. I have been working on my first Land Rover; 2004 Discovery 2 with 62K. I was in the process of replacing the rear 1/4 chassis. While wating for the chassis to make its way here to the States, I have been doing some minor fixes, upgrades, and cleaning. I was working on the driver side seat heater when I noticed some rust on the lower left rear seat post (see photo). I removed the seat and repaired it. Out of pure curiosity, I pulled up the carpet and found...dejection, pain, and pending sorrow (see photo). 90% cleaned up fine with no structural damage - easy grind, treat, and seal. It's the 10% at the juncture of the floor panel with the A column and the weatherstrip sill that has me looking for a better way to proceed. I have ground out the core rust of the area, but haven't done any cutting. (see photo). Is there an easy fix or right way to fix this area? Any assistance woud be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails Driver Side Door Sill Rusted Out-rusted-seat-post.jpg   Driver Side Door Sill Rusted Out-full-rust-view.jpg   Driver Side Door Sill Rusted Out-critical-area.jpg  
Old 10-07-2018, 03:16 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any luck with this? I'm in a similar (rusty) boat: Just bought my first Land Rover, a 2004 Disco, and found the entire section under the drivers side door is rusted out. Sadly I don't have the skill, tools or time to work on my truck myself so looking for the cheapest solution. Curious how you ended up dealing with this issue.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2018, 04:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

There are several ways to fix it, you could cut out a rust free panel from the junk yard and patch it in if your good with welding, you could skin over with new metal which is not as good, but my biggest concern would be to check why it’s so rotten. I found 2 d2’s that we’re that bad in that area because water was coming in from the windshield. Be sure to check that first. Stop the water from coming in and check the A pillar and even the cowl and hood hinge mount

Old 10-07-2018, 05:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

This is a patch panel I installed on my buddies d2 with a rotten floor. Made it from an old steel shelf. Riveted it in spot, coated it inside and out with seam sealer and painted it with undercoating

The following users liked this post:
LR03NJ (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 01:02 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

I had the same problem on the driver side as well and I didn't even noticed. I just checked why one of the seat leg was getting rusty, I removed the plastic door trim at the door entrance and
the floor was eaten by rust.

Anyway, I checked it out but there is part of (??? suspension maybe ???) attached to the floor area in the bottom. How do you go around fixing and replacing the floor. Seems like its welded to the floor.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:11 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. Gotta get to the bottom of the leak (and a couple others!!!) and will report back once it's fixed along with what the solution was + pics in case it's helpful to anyone else in this situation.