Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver-side wiper lifting off glass

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:24 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver-side wiper lifting off glass

My driver's side wiper has been lifting off the windshield lately when it wipes. Let's say I start by pushing it down to the glass when the wipers are off. If I turn them on (any setting), the wiper will wipe the glass, but on the return will lift off an inch or so at the bottom of the stroke and stay lifted off the glass. Technically, because of the curve of the windshield, the driver's side edge of the wiper will remain in contact with the glass, but the passenger's side edge will be an inch off the glass. It's really annoying to have to repeatedly push the wiper back down against the glass!! Any idea what is causing this? Winter has hit here in Wisconsin with a vengence - hence the reason I have 2 four-wheel drive SUV's - and this is my first winter with my Disco. Do you think it's caused by the cold or just normal aging of the vehicle? I wondering if the spring that holds the wiper under tension against the glass needs to be replaced...

Thanks for alllllll the great information I've learned from this forum!!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Driver-side wiper lifting off glass

Do you have a broken spring on the wiper arm?

Old 12-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah check the tensioner spring on the wiper arm... and check for any type of corrosion or dirt or anything that may be causing it to not lock down or apply pressure to the arm to keep it on the glass...

Old 12-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Winching

Lifts off on the end of the wiper, Right? What Roarke Is describing I also have happening to my Disco. New wiper blades are my next move after tightening the pivot nut, Switching the wiper blades around, and checking the tension spring. After switching the blades from drivers side to passenger side they work a lot better but still get a little liftoff out of the blade on the end. Tightening that nut helped a lot, try using a 13 mm socket.
In my case i just think I'm due for a new set of wiper blades, I know they got some grate ones at silblade but id have to order the ones i want and the oem ones are in stock at the local Land Rover. I may end up going with the Land Rover ones cuz i read some reviews posted in here about them not completely touching the glass in the middle or something.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

how did like 15 people all mess there wipers up at the same time? we've had a bunch of posts about this in like the past day...

Old 12-24-2008, 08:14 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for all the suggestions! The spring isn't broken, so I'll check for any dirt or corrosion and try tightening up the nut.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 PM

I have the exact issue, I changed the blades (Land Rover Gen. Blades), same thing. I lubed the hell out of the spring-tensioner, same thing. You push it on the glass works once, then the last inch of the wiper is off the glass...

Your not alone...lol

Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Drifting

yep have the same daggone problem; actually also used a bit of WD40 at my friend's discretion, but same crap... so i have ordered a new pair of winter blades and my next move before that is tightening that nut on the wiper arm... thanks for all the help guys!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

My solution to fix D2 wiper problems as far as not wiping properly, was to swap to D1 wiper arms.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:37 AM
4th Gear

Mine issue was a combination of an old wiper arm (stiff joint/old spring perhaps) and the fact that the air foil for that arm was removed when the blade was replaced once. Picture here:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DKS100040G.cfm

Replaced the arm, blade, and foil and alls better. Now I only need to deal with the typical ice buildup that happens in heavy snow.

Quick Reply: Driver-side wiper lifting off glass