Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver window

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Driver window

Okay I ordered the new part last week on thurs, payed an extra 30 to get it 2nd day air delivered...I barley got the part today...Ya it gets better...I install it, actually it was pretty simple since it was my second time doing it lol.....

The window only rows half way up still, I check the packaging and its for the a front RH.....OMG!!!!! they sent me the wrong part AGAIN!!!! such terrible customer service....I've called and they are going to return my call and then dont, thats happened twice, I called today and some a different person answered and said I have to call again tommorrow....WTF...

This is very very stressfull....I dont even know where to begin....

Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What company did you order from so I know to stay away form them. Sounds to me like they are taking you for a ride. Make sure they at least exchange this one. Don't use em anymore and share with them the folks at LandRoverForums won't be using them either...

Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 PM
ajh
Winching

Lithium grease is water soluble so not the best choice for something like a window where it will get wet. A waterproof grease like moly would make sense. If someone had a reason that you 'need' white lithium I'd love to hear it. I've seen numerous things destroyed because it was used in conditions it really couldn't handle.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: ajh

Lithium grease is water soluble so not the best choice for something like a window where it will get wet. A waterproof grease like moly would make sense. If someone had a reason that you 'need' white lithium I'd love to hear it. I've seen numerous things destroyed because it was used in conditions it really couldn't handle.
You have posted this twice. Where are you getting your information?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:47 PM
ajh
Winching

My dad used to use it for everything, then used it in a bottom bracket on a bike... the bearings totally disintigrated in a season, most of the race too... then a local mechanic explained why.

OK, soluable isn't the right wording, here's the entry from the Material Safety Data Sheet that you'll be interested in.

SECTION VI-Reactivity Data Stability: Stable X Conditions to Avoid: Hydrolysis producing small amounts of hydrochloric acid possible with gross water contamination. Avoid open flames, welding arcs, or other high temperature sources which induce thermal decomposition. Incompatibility: Strong oxidizers; caustics, chemically active metals such as aluminum, magnesium and sodium.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ok, I get what you are trying to say. I know lithium shouldn't be used on anything that has much load, it is a lightweight grease. I wouldn't think that a window regulator would be subject to "gross water contamination". I have replaced a few and they come lubed from the factory with lithium. I would stay away from other greases because they tend to dry out in a few years and leave clumps..... not a good thing to have in your window tracks.

I know marine grade gen. purpose grease has been recommended for this app, but I just re-built my lower unit in my boat and had to use a knife to scrape the grease out of the swivel joints. I would stay with a light grease for the window. Lithium won't take a huge load, like bearings on a motorcycle. It wasn't intended to. But it will provide a long lasting lubrication without gumming up on a light load like a window.

Just my opinion and experience. I know this topic has a lot of differing opinions.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Three Wheeling

I just called and no answer, this time Im asking for my complete refund for both parts, and Im going with a different company...Company name is Eurotek Landrover parts....

My car has been in the garage for two weeks because of this....Very aggervating...

Old 08-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Called again, they are over nighting me the correct part I hope and told me to send them the two incorrect parts, They young lady didnt know what was going on, but hopefully we can work this thig out and I can get my car on the road again....

Old 08-23-2007, 01:36 PM
ajh
Winching

Sounds like we've been having similar experiences. I really wish it was easier to go look at the parts before getting them, I'm ' ' close to just paying the 'local' wrecker (2h drive) to buy me a D2 for parts and stick it under a tarp and pull things as needed.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Is Eurotek the company giving u the probs' ?

Quick Reply: Driver window