Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's door handle will not come off

Old 06-24-2019, 03:22 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's door handle will not come off

Anyone know how to remove the spring clip, if that is possible, on the back of the driver's door handle on a 2000 Discovery II? Or how to slide the clip away from the two sloping black plastic pressure points under the clip? There is only 1/8" to 1/4" of space for the handle to travel and it does not want to pull away from the body.at all. The vertical rod has already been released from the white retaining clip that surrounds the rod, so that is not what is preventing the handle removal. The pin is broken, so that is not blocking removal. And the screw at the back of the handle has been removed with no issues. The handle moves a very small amount in all directions except away from the body. Have also tried pulling the door handle out while squeezing the clip.

I have seen several postings about removing two different models of the door handle, and they seem to come out rather easily with just a few firm hits toward the front or toward the back. I have not seen any postings that discuss the two sloping black plastic pressure points under the metal clip that seem to be on a separate piece of plastic from the curved bit that is part of the handle. Looks like that part is supposed to stay connected to the body and not come out with the handle.

After searching for hours, I have not seen any discussions about how to remove the pressure clip, or how to release the two sloping pressure points that hold the handle tight against the door. Have tried to squeeze the spring clip at the front of the handle, as is done with the 2003 and 2004 Discos, but that does not seem to work. The handle only slides 1/8" to 1/4" toward the front or back and doesn't even come close to allowing it to be pulled out of the door. So any help with this would be greatly appreciated. We are really stumped with this one.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 401 Likes on 278 Posts

looks like it slides this way to release. You would not take the metal spring 'off' in situ...

Old 06-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Pretty sure that clip stays put. I’ve had my handles off and don’t remember removing that clip.