Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver's seat leather cover is loose at the front and rear. How do I re-attach?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default driver's seat leather cover is loose at the front and rear. How do I re-attach?

The leather seat bottom cover on my D2 driver's seat is loose/detached at both the front and rear,......it came to me that way. I've tried re-attaching it, but it seems that it's going to take more than me pulling down on it and trying to tuck in back in to make it happen. Thinking that I may have to take the seat out and separate the seat back and seat bottom in order to be able to get it re-tucked in to it's proper securing strip.

Anyone been through this?

Brian in Austin

Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I have the Pleather seats but assume the construction to be the same...

There is a plastic trim piece sewn onto the fabric at the bottom of all four sides to the seat squab (cover.)

These plastic strips are black, 1/2" high and about 10" to 12" in length and come unsewn from the fabric after time.

Chances are that the plastic piece is still on the metal seat frame piece that it attaches to when stretched. Mine were/are.

Your choices are to find those "J hooks" as they are called and re sew them, or have an upholster person replace the (P)leather around to bottom edges if the existing material is too shredded to re-sew.

Either way it is a whole lot easier to remove the entire squab from the seat before attempting this. This is way easier if you remove the entire seat from the truck, but be sure to use the electric seat motors to position the seat for best access before removing the power... Fully reclined seems to allow more access to the further rear hogrings which hold the seat cover to the metal bars in the cushion.

FWIW I found an upholstery guy locally who will rebuild the warn bolsters and replace the lower fabric as well as replace one panel of fabric on the left side of the drivers seat for $175.00 plus $25 for a yard of pleather.

Last edited by Dave03S; 01-06-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Dave !