Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers Side Draft

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018 | 04:28 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
I have the same issue with my DII. It started this year after I had the headliner reupholstered. I'm hazarding a guess it's the seal on my back passenger window as it sounds a bit windy back there and the draft wafts up into the driver's seat and wraps its way around my head and neck. I've poked around a bit but haven't pinpointed the culprit yet. Coincidental that it started when the headliner was removed and recovered? Probably not.
Your issue sounds exactly like mine, wind blowing on the back of my neck and head. Drove me crazy for a few weeks, put new rubber seals on passenger door frame, then added more sealing...since new seals didn't help. No change. Finally, I notice the felt track in the window channel had dropped down, about two inches. Which s probably more common in our cold climate area, with ice freezing to the glass and felt track, and pulling down the felt when opening window.

Double check those felt tracks in the window vertical channels. Once they have slid down, they work as a little air scoop(s), pulling air in and blowing it forward within the area of the drivers seat.

Brian.

Old 02-19-2018 | 08:54 AM
|
Winching

Well I'm glad it's not just me. I checked the felt tracks and there doesn't appear to be gaps. I'll keep poking around.

Old 02-19-2018 | 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Have you loosened the bolts holding the upper frame to the door and moved the top of the frame inward a bit? I had to do it on my D1 as in gusty winds on the highway air would creep in right at my head/face.

Old 02-20-2018 | 09:18 AM
|
Winching

I checked mine again after some comments. I turned off the heat/AC to make sure it wasn't any of those fans. I'm not feeling a draft around the window or the door handle.

Where I fell a draft coming in is at the seat belt opening in the B pillar. I'm sitting here and for the life of me I can't figure out where air would be coming in to that cavity.

Old 02-20-2018 | 10:18 AM
Pro Wrench

Get some expanding foam from the local hardware store and start spraying

Old 02-22-2018 | 12:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Your issue sounds exactly like mine, wind blowing on the back of my neck and head. Drove me crazy for a few weeks, put new rubber seals on passenger door frame, then added more sealing...since new seals didn't help. No change. Finally, I notice the felt track in the window channel had dropped down, about two inches. Which s probably more common in our cold climate area, with ice freezing to the glass and felt track, and pulling down the felt when opening window.

Double check those felt tracks in the window vertical channels. Once they have slid down, they work as a little air scoop(s), pulling air in and blowing it forward within the area of the drivers seat.

Brian.
Wow Brian - thank you! That is exactly the issue on mine and only on the one window. Either half the felt channel is missing (?!) or it has crept that far down into the window cavity... just went and checked this afternoon and will try to pry it out tonight. Thanks again!

Christina

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (03-07-2018)
Old 02-22-2018 | 06:22 PM

I've been trying to discover why my LHS is cold sometimes and it looks like there is some air leaks around the drivers side door seals, I think it calls for a closer look at the door seal. It's that or I'm dying slowly from the LHS

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (03-07-2018)
Old 03-06-2018 | 07:13 PM
|
Winching

I'll have to eat my words. I was driving down the road the other day flailing my arms around like a crazy person trying to find the source of the draft. I originally thought it was coming from/around the driver's seat belt in the B pillar. However after stretching a little farther back (while driving mind you ). That's when I realized it was coming from the rear window. Low and behold the felt had dropped about halfway down the opening and it was causing the draft I felt in the front seat.

Problem solved.

The following 2 users liked this post by robert.juric:
JUKE179r (03-07-2018), The Deputy (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018 | 08:10 AM
Camel Trophy

Good news. Believe me...I about went crazy trying to find the issue the first time too. Just couldn't figure out "why" a breeze would be blowing against the direction I was driving...and right on my neck.

Brian.

Old 03-07-2018 | 02:50 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Wow Brian - thank you! That is exactly the issue on mine and only on the one window. Either half the felt channel is missing (?!) or it has crept that far down into the window cavity... just went and checked this afternoon and will try to pry it out tonight. Thanks again!

Christina
I put the window down, then pulled gentle on the felt guide as I raised the window (used needle-nose plies to grasp the outer edge). Then once back in place, used a silicone spray to lube the felt...so the window slids through the track...instead of going along for the ride.

Brian.

Quick Reply: Drivers Side Draft