Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft ... center ball kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft ... center ball kit

I decided to tackle the driveshaft center ball kit partly because of a recent bad experience with a local tranny shop and the dealer ... and well, partly because of ego (I guess I figure that I can do anything that I have the right tools and instructions for). Well I got the part from NAPA and the tools from Advance Auto's Tool loan. I used the u joint press and easily removed the u joint from the driveshaft side of the double cardan. Then I removed the outer retainer ring and then used a slide hammer to remove the ball. The ball came out but the race which is present on the new one did not come out ... it actually looks like it is part of the socket. I'm sure this is because of grit and wear that have "cemented" them together, but how should I remove them? I thought about knocking the ball back in witha socket and then trying again but that doesn't sound like the right option. There is not much of anything to grab hold of otherwise ... any suggestions would be great.

Mark

Old 12-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Driveshaft ... center ball kit

Can you hook your slide hammer hook to an edge at all? I can't remember if it sits flushor not.If you can get a hook on there, use a large flat screw driver or something to pry against it to holdthe hook on tight.Then give the hammer a good wack. I'm surprised that the ball popped out of there.