Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Battery/Alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Daedrix
Make one like i did. I run them in PARALLEL. I run a yellow top and a blue top. They are always connected in parallel and im using the stock alternator.

Nice... I'd be a little scared for those screws though. A little wiggling from the battery and they could go right in the side..

How are you securing them from the top? did you put rubber mat on the bottom to absorb some of the vibration (and prolong the life of the batteries)?

Old 09-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by primussucks
Nice... I'd be a little scared for those screws though. A little wiggling from the battery and they could go right in the side..

How are you securing them from the top? did you put rubber mat on the bottom to absorb some of the vibration (and prolong the life of the batteries)?
Those pic are from when i was putting the setup together, the final product looks different. The screw are no threat partially because the battery has rounded edges and the is little to no wiggle room. I did add a rubber mat under the batteries and i secure them with a simple tie down strap like this:

Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Rock Crawling

Do you have pics of what the base/underneath of the boxes looks like? did you just build a foot to account for the curve of the wheel well?

Old 09-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you have pics of what the base/underneath of the boxes looks like? did you just build a foot to account for the curve of the wheel well?
There is nothing underneath the boxes, and no foot. Forward looking aft, the top of the boxes rests on the curve of the wheel well(rubber strip in between so no metal to metal chafing), the left side is supported by the "L" bracket, and the bottom is secured with screws to the body of the vehicle. It might not look like it but it is really secure and budge.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks..
Maybe I'm missing something here... But the height different between the most forward portion of the box, and the rear of the box is about 3". The curve of the wheel well..

Do your batteries sit on an incline?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throw the battery in the back, and keep it as a jump box or portable power source... rig up a small solar trickle charger and toss the panel on the rear bumper or roof or in the window inside

Old 09-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Thanks..
Maybe I'm missing something here... But the height different between the most forward portion of the box, and the rear of the box is about 3". The curve of the wheel well..

Do your batteries sit on an incline?
the box that i fabbed is raised at the front to make it level to the wheel well contact point. I used 2" angle iron self tapped and bolted towards head light.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I guess the point was that I already have the battery, it has been used for a total of 15 minutes, and I like to tinker. I'd seen the Columbia Overland tray and it looks like something even I could fab up.

The isolator and relay setup is a great idea. I have been circling the idea of a TJM bumper (sold in San Antonio... Not a tremendous distance from home) and a couple of lights on the front. Also, one of the things that my LRover lacks that most of my vehicles have is always on plugs for charging a laptop, cell phones, and a mobile printer that I always have with me. As is, I can only do that with the ignition on.

Great comments. Thanks! Once again, this forum is the best balance of helpful and informative for Rover owners.

Best,

Charlie V