Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DYI Discrete Winch Mount

Old 03-23-2016, 02:28 PM
Mudding
Received 148 Likes on 68 Posts
Default DYI Discrete Winch Mount

Discrete Mount for about $60.

I've always wanted to add a winch to my disco - had some trouble finding a discrete mounting tray online that didn't break the bank.

Harbor Freight has a "Universal Channel Winch Mount" that's listed for $49.99.
(I used a 20% OFF coupon & got it for less)

Not exactly what I needed, but I found that if you cut it down to fit the space between the frame behind the bumper - the ends you cut off are just right to use for the side mounts.

I used an angle grinder with a cutting disc to make the cuts - and a drill press to make the holes.

DYI Discrete Winch Mount

More photos here

The following 2 users liked this post by T-rex:
Fallstaff (03-24-2016), Roont (11-09-2023)
Old 03-30-2016, 10:46 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

i have the same part! I should have read post better lol I didn't realize you cut the ends off to make the brackets! NICE! have you installed it yet? what can it handle?

Old 03-31-2016, 10:54 AM
Mudding

I've yet to install it - trying to do my research on what winch to buy so I can do the installation all at the same time. SO MANY OPINIONS and differing reviews. I'd like a Warn, but I'm cheap Leaning towards a Superwinch.

I plan on fitting the tray, tightening the bolts on the tray, removing it and welding the brackets to the bottom for added strength. Then adding the winch and bolting that sucker in. As it is now it feels like it would't budge a bit under a good pull.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:04 AM
Winching

yeah that sounds cool! Im not going all crazy on winch as since its a discrete winch and plastic bumper I'm not looking for a mega winch... i hear decent enough info on the badlands and as you know we can get them cheap with our 20% discount for being member! I live within a few blocks of 2 harbor freights

Old 03-31-2016, 11:26 AM
Winching

how far back will this mount? I was wondering if it will bolt to a crossmember on back side and sides also... that would be pretty sturdy if so... I haven't looked under there yet

Old 03-31-2016, 02:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

Love that idea! I was originally going to buy one of those mounts and just weld it to the bumper and run long bolts straight down trough the frame, but I like your idea better. I'll be stealing this in the future.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:34 PM
Mudding

There are 4 bolts that hold the bumper right to the frame - this will fit on those bolts right between the frame.

Not sure about just how much room there's going to be - I may end up mounting the control box separate from the winch.

It's going behind a TMJ steel bumper

Old 03-31-2016, 06:04 PM
Winching

I can see its a tight little space under there ... defiantly have to line it up just right... maybe with bumper installed? once that mesh is out of the way... its really going to be sealed up in there... ( I'm on an 03 )

Old 03-31-2016, 06:12 PM
Winching

here are side mounts harbor freight sells and I manually fit them and they are a direct fit... they are 4.99 each lolthey say up to 3600lb but it looked same... maybe its best to use the cut off sides... i just like finding direct fit parts for cheap lol

ATV/Utility Winch Mounting Plate

Old 04-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Mudding

I actually bought two of those the same time I got the winch mount thinking I'd use those for the sides - but after starting to measure the cuts to make the plate fit, it seemed a better idea to use the cut off ends for the sides. They're thicker and were about the perfect size.

I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a
Superwinch - Tiger Shark 9.5 Superwinch - Tiger Shark 9.5

Here's what I'm hoping to end up with

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DYI Discrete Winch Mount