Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dying computer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 02:29 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That was my thought, as well, mln01.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts
Old 06-11-2021, 10:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

Not sure how it's going over there - but I can tell you that my ultra gauge - on 2 different Discos - flashes or blinks off intermittently from time to time. It always pops right back up without a rescan -- so, it seems to be normal. I thought it was some issue with my OBD ports or the wire but .. perhaps just part of the beast.

The following users liked this post:
mollusc (06-12-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 10:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

Also... I'm like 200% sure that this is due to water coming in on your inside fusebox, or a wire connector in the OBD circuit

Old 06-11-2021, 11:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Also... I'm like 200% sure that this is due to water coming in on your inside fusebox, or a wire connector in the OBD circuit
I agree. The timing with the storms and cracked cowl cover make it seem likely the issue. I could not find it again but if you search there is a OBD2 issue just like this due to water ingress. It gets in and settles in the harness jacket causing the connectors to corrode. I think to the right of the HVAC unit behind the glove box they mentioned a bunch of purple wires.

Makes me want to reevaluate my quick cowl panel repair.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Great, thanks very much everyone! I just finished putting on the new cowl, so now I can start addressing the wiring. I've taken the trim down and found the big bundle of wires in the passenger footwell. I had always hoped to be able to avoid anything electrical, but I guess I picked the wrong kind of vehicle haha! I'll watch those videos and see if they'll help me.

I also just replaced my spark plugs and did a good old fashioned Italian tune-up, which seems to have taken care of my misfire. I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't come back.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:31 PM
Drifting

I'm seeing several other threads from people with Ultragauge questions, so I'll update my thread,a s well. Mine started working again a couple days after I replaced by windshield cowl, or central air intake, as Atlantic British calls it. If any water did make its way down into the connectors, it evaporated.

Since I already had all the trim removed, and I did want to check on the wiring, I finally worked up the courage to cut into the bundle of cables in the passenger footwell and check the connectors. I found that none of them had any corrosion, so I sprayed them with contact cleaner and put everything back together. The video posted above by dswilly was very helpful, so thanks for that.

After I reconnected everything, the Ultragauge immediately read all the gauges, and actually didn't flash at all for a quick drive around the block. However, the next time I started the truck, it failed to read any gauges, and kept cycling though ***Scanning***. This is the same symptom I experienced before. I unplugged it and let it sit overnight. Then I went for a couple more drives, and it cycled over and over again without ever managing to read anything. Yesterday, it finally managed to read the gauges, and has been working fine since then. It still flashes, which I guess may be common behavior, but I'm still concerned that it's going to stop reading and get stuck Scanning again. So I guess I don't have a good conclusion for this thread. *shrug*

Old 07-21-2021, 08:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

I have had similar behavior with my new Ultragauge as well. No flickering but ever other drive cycle it get the “Err” message on gauges from the ECM. Usually just pulling it from the ODB port resolves it for a time. It does rarely get stuck in scanning mode again pulling it from the port resolves it for a while. Haven’t really dig into the issues yet. I do have another Bluetooth odb dongle that I can try for a week to see if I get similar behavior like no info from the ECM.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
FWIW, in the 19 years I have owned my truck I don't recall ever needing to enter the radio code. And the battery has obviously been disconnected many, many times.

That said, the Radio Operation Manual for my '99 says "If you lose your code number, contact the nearest Land Rover retailer, who will be able to obtain this information for you."

It also says "Your vehicle was manufactured with the security code disabled; if you wish to have the code activated, consult your Land Rover retailer." So that indicates the code was never activated in my truck. My guess it odds are in your favor that the code was never enabled in your truck, but go ahead and call a dealer and ask them to get the code for you.
The only radio l've had to reprogram with code is our 03 HSE, which has the factory navigation radio (which l have no idea how that operates...lol) and luckily it was hand written in owners manual.. The other 04, 01 and 03, with "regular" radios all just come back on after changing battery, never needed code.

As far as the scanner goes, me, l'd be checking the inner fusebox for corrosion.