Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E - Tolling

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E - Tolling

Has anyone had issues with electronic toll transponders (Illinois I-Pass in this case) working sporadically or not working at all. Suspect it may be interference with the wires for the heated windshield? Mine I-Pass does not register all of the time, starting to become an issue with the state.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: E - Tolling

It is the heated windshield, you need to relocate your SpeedPass. I dont know where, outside the cabin maybe.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks, Spike. I tried holding it outside the vehicle today so we'll see if that works. I think I may relo the transponder to one of the rear windows.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what about on one of the sun roofs? They usually come with velcro so you can pop it up there, drive through the toll and then rip it down and throw it in the center console.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Rock Crawling

I'm sure Ipass is the same as Easy-Pass and I have a heated windscreen and my Easy-Pass transponder located right below the rearview and have never had any issues. Doesn't even take any longer to pick it up at the booth. You may want to request a new transponder, or one of the transponders that mounts to your front license plate.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Three Wheeling

Bump to update

I've tried three different transponders. All work in my wife's car or my co. car but not in the Disco. It HAS to be that heated windscreen. Unless the car is cursed ... which I admit IS a possibility :-)

I am going to try the sunroof mount next ... hopefully that will work.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The heated assembly shouldn't cause you a problem and if it did, maybe only when on.
I see tons on Rovers here in Colorado and haven't heard opf there being a problem.
Let us know what you find.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Okay, to close the loop on this issue - here's what I found. The I-Pass would NOT work if I placed it near the roofline, ie near the rear-view mirror. If I put it in the sunshade (the netting) on the sunroof it would work just fine. Keep in mind that in this position the transponder is horizontal. So, now I keep it on the front of the dash near the windshield in a horizontal position and it works all the time.

So, my theory is either (a) the transponder is too close to vertical at the top of the windscreen or (b) there is so much steel near the top of the windscreen that it is interfering with the signal. At this point I don't care - it works where it is and that's enough.