Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM Reprogrammed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Have you or your mechanic checked the alternator......
A battery that isnt charging enough would do that.

And dont try to nail me to the cross and say the battery light would turn on....... we all know here that stranger things have happened.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Have you or your mechanic checked the alternator......
A battery that isnt charging enough would do that.

And dont try to nail me to the cross and say the battery light would turn on....... we all know here that stranger things have happened.
My apologies! In my earlier post I stated that they checked the transmission, I should have said "alternator" — yes, that was checked when they changed the battery. Thanks!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:09 PM
4wd Low

Update:
Well, this mechanic who has previously worked on the car said that he "thinks" it is as simple as resetting the computer and that unfortunately the Dealer has to do. There aren't any codes coming up at all, but they can "get into the system and communicate with it."

Old 04-02-2013, 02:27 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by digger97
The battery we had in it was only 3 years old but then all of a sudden it died —*not sure if one of the children left an overhead light on. Had the car jumped and all was well. Then it died again — same story. But it was like it wasn't holding a charge. We took it back to where we got the battery and they replaced it for free — they said the alternator was good but the battery wasn't.

All seemed fine for about a week, maybe more. Then one morning I left to drop my daughter off at a friend's house. I had to turn the key in the ignition twice and it seemed a bit sluggish on startup. I thought perhaps I was rushed and didn't turn it properly the first time. Then I got to the friend's house the car was off for not even three minutes and I went to start it and it did the same sluggish thing, but this time it didn't catch. I sat for a minute and then tried again — sluggish, but it kicked in. When I returned home I let it sit for about 10 minutes and tried again — more sluggish and this time it didn't kick. Even later, worse.

I will reply back when I can get the codes

The never ending car saga --> The car is at the Land Rover dealer. They replaced the crank sensor, but the same thing happens as before, it starts a little and then dies. They checked the battery and it only had 8 volts in it. They tied to charge it up, but it wouldn't take a charge. I told them about the previous bad battery and they said it is *possible* that it could have fried the computer, but they are changing the battery out right now. The previous battery was an auto zone if that helps. I am PRAYING that the computer is not fried. Does anyone have any previous experience with this, or knowledge?

Thanks

Last edited by digger97; 04-02-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Any codes? Starts and then dies sounds like computer sync problems.

A lady on LRO and a couple of guys on discoweb also posted that a bad under-dash fuse box gave symptoms just like a failing crank sensor.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:05 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by jafir
Any codes? Starts and then dies sounds like computer sync problems.

A lady on LRO and a couple of guys on discoweb also posted that a bad under-dash fuse box gave symptoms just like a failing crank sensor.
There are no longer any codes that pop up.

They put a new battery in and it started up completely and ran ... and then died. When they pulled the battery out the negative connection had melted to the battery so a mechanic friend of ours was almost certain it was a grounding issue that they should look into.

When I spoke with them today, they said that it wasn't the grounding. They had put a loaner computer in and the car started right up and stayed on. :/ I asked whether the battery had caused issues with computer or vice versa — they aren't sure. They are looking into finding a used computer and I should hear back tomorrow. In the meantime (thanks to reading posts on this forum) I am going to look into finding a used computer as well and see who comes up with the better price!

I am perplexed as to how the battery (even if it was bad) could have fried the computer — we had it jump started several times, but always car to car. When the bad battery was replaced, the car ran fine for a week! Replaced on Monday and the next Saturday it was kaput. It took a week for the computer to fail?

Thoughts?

Ready to get it on the road again so we can get "off the road". While oversees we had an LR3 that we would take into the desert, but the Disco is my favorite and I will prob be buried in it! LOL That is until we are at some point able to acquire a Defender that is!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

You hooked jumper cables up backwards. That's the only way to kill the ecu.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You got some real clowns working on your rover.
I would only take it to a shop with a LOT of rovers out side to begin with.

Make sure the braided ground cable from the ENGINE drivers's side cylinder HEAD is connected to the fire wall.

THis ia a MAJOR ground strap...

Make sure the battery is strapped down.
You never drive around with a loose battery.

ECU's $100 on ebay

discovery 2 ECU -abs -ace -transmission | eBay

Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just curious, what is your $$ damage so far on this issue?

Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 AM
4wd Low

Just curious, what is your $$ damage so far on this issue?
So far the first mechanic only charged $90. The second service place that works on Rovers and has previously worked on ours (with success) didn't charge us anything since he couldn't get it going.

So far only $90, however, we are at the Land Rover dealership now so ... I'll let you know

Originally Posted by jfall
You got some real clowns working on your rover.
I would only take it to a shop with a LOT of rovers out side to begin with.

Make sure the braided ground cable from the ENGINE drivers's side cylinder HEAD is connected to the fire wall.

THis ia a MAJOR ground strap...

Make sure the battery is strapped down.
You never drive around with a loose battery.

ECU's $100 on ebay

discovery 2 ECU -abs -ace -transmission | eBay
Well, it's at the Land Rover dealership now, but in today's world you never know — that's why I'm here. And who knows, they all are probably here too looking for a solution! LOL

As for getting the connections backwards when jumping, that did not occur as
1. the disco wouldn't have started, and it did so quite smoothly each time
2. if that had occurred and the computer were fried, it would not have started and continued to run, replacing a battery and then run for another week before dying. The new battery wasn't jumped.

Would it take a week for a computer to fry? I am not trying to be a smart--- about it, it really is a valid question and one that has me stumped.

Thank you jfall for the specifics and the lead as well. I did contact Will Tillery and they have one too for $65.

We will push the grounding issue again tomorrow as it seems all road lead back to the battery.

Last edited by digger97; 04-04-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Quick Reply: ECM Reprogrammed?