Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM Reprogrammed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by digger97
So far the first mechanic only charged $90. The second service place that works on Rovers and has previously worked on ours (with success) didn't charge us anything since he couldn't get it going.

So far only $90, however, we are at the Land Rover dealership now so ... I'll let you know

Well, it's at the Land Rover dealership now, but in today's world you never know — that's why I'm here. And who knows, they all are probably here too looking for a solution! LOL

As for getting the connections backwards when jumping, that did not occur as
1. the disco wouldn't have started, and it did so quite smoothly each time
2. if that had occurred and the computer were fried, it would not have started and continued to run, replacing a battery and then run for another week before dying. The new battery wasn't jumped.

Would it take a week for a computer to fry? I am not trying to be a smart--- about it, it really is a valid question and one that has me stumped.

Thank you jfall for the specifics and the lead as well. I did contact Will Tillery and they have one too for $65.

We will push the grounding issue again tomorrow as it seems all road lead back to the battery.
When fuel injectors snap shut they backfeed a large jolt of juice back through the wire to the ecu, they put clamping diodes or chokes in the ECU on the fuel injector circuit to dampen this. It is completely plausible that you fried this element of the ECU when jumping backwards, therefore exposing the injector MOSFET's to large jolts of power until they failed .